Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Jim Cassidy
City/State
Central Pennsylvania
Two images from my backyard this morning with overcast skies, windy, and a thunderstorm threatening. The dandelion was 15 images, "increment" = 4, F5.6, and about 10 inches from the front of the lens to the dandelion. For the wild strawberry, 30 images, increment 4, F5.6, and about 6 inches from the berry. Taken with R5 on a tripod. I used Lightroom Classic and Photoshop for the focus stack. Photoshop nailed the dandelion with the color contrast, but I'm not as happy about the berry. Photoshop didn't correctly mask between the green leaves and red berry buds. Not a biggie though.

I was filling bird feeders and bath and noticed a lone dandelion that just seemed to be shaped perfectly to my eye. A couple of days ago, I watched a video about focus bracketing macro shots, so I got the camera and tripod and tried the recommended settings. The biggest difference in these and what I've tried in the past is the number of shots which was shocking to me. I never before tried more than five. Oh, how the times are changing.

DandelionFocusStack.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100mm F2.8 L MACRO IS USM
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 125

WildStrawberyFocusStack.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100mm F2.8 L MACRO IS USM
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 1000

Two images from my backyard this morning with overcast skies, windy, and a thunderstorm threatening. The dandelion was 15 images, "increment" = 4, F5.6, and about 10 inches from the front of the lens to the dandelion. For the wild strawberry, 30 images, increment 4, F5.6, and about 6 inches from the berry. Taken with R5 on a tripod. I used Lightroom Classic and Photoshop for the focus stack. Photoshop nailed the dandelion with the color contrast, but I'm not as happy about the berry. Photoshop didn't correctly mask between the green leaves and red berry buds. Not a biggie though.

I was filling bird feeders and bath and noticed a lone dandelion that just seemed to be shaped perfectly to my eye. A couple of days ago, I watched a video about focus bracketing macro shots, so I got the camera and tripod and tried the recommended settings. The biggest difference in these and what I've tried in the past is the number of shots which was shocking to me. I never before tried more than five. Oh, how the times are changing.

View attachment 29282

View attachment 29283
For the second wild strawberry photo, I think you can try Digital Photo Professional (free software from Canon), it might give a better focus stacking result. The software is easy to use (focus stacking) and easy to remove artifacts (ghost peaks.......). Moreover, you can try hand-held in-camera focus bracketing. The cameras in the EOS R series are well fit for the purpose.

You can find my work here (flowers, focus stacking)

I also posted some insect photos using focus stacking in this Genre (Macro and Close-up)

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back