Kamoshika

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
David
Has anyone else noticed how good Google Lens has gotten identifying birds? Merlin was my go-to but now GL seems to work quite well. Here is a partially blocked bird I shot, a red-billed leiothrix, and GL had no problem identifying it.
rbl.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6m2
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 12800

I use Google Lens too, for birds and bugs, and it can be very helpful. But it can also get it quite wrong, especially with bugs. It does better on birds, sometimes even when the bird is at an odd angle.

I use Google Lens too, for birds and bugs, and it can be very helpful. But it can also get it quite wrong, especially with bugs. It does better on birds, sometimes even when the bird is at an odd angle.

...for longer than I care to admit, I've been 'testing' my latest camera gear by taking pictures of birds...mostly 'backyard birds' and the occasional bald eagle.

I do not describe myself as a 'birder'...rather I like to take pictures of interesting birds with modern gear.

I have found Google Lens (when did the Google Lens name become a thing?) for years...it is invaluable (at least for me) for beginners.

I also use the Merlin ID sound app on iOS...it has also been useful as well.

I also use Google lens, but not just for bird ID. If I see a photo of a landscape, or cityscape for which there isn't a location noted, I do simply put that image into Google lens and it will often show me other similar images on the internet and I can determine the location. I also use it for flower/plant identification.

Google Lens can also find a photo of yours...to a point.
In Fstoppers the title is correctly titled "The Sentinel" and not "Gloomy Swamp".

The Sentinel.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-70mm F2.8 L IS USM
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 100
Untitled.jpg

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back