Greetings from North East England

trevjm

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Trevor Martin
Hi everyone. I am so glad to had found a dedicated forum for Canon R mount shooters. I have been blundering around with an R5 for about 6-8 months now without really getting to grips with it. Work has been a bit brutal as well as being in the process of recovering from a serious bout of ill health that all got rather close to the edge as it were. Time to re-evaluate things etc. Retirement is looming (65 years old) and I want to get ready to be able to fully use all the benefits of my final chosen camera system (famous last words :) ). Anyway I look forward to learning from all you other Canon R system users as time goes by.

Best wishes

Trev

Hi Trevor. I joined this forum a few months back, this is my introductory post (copied and pasted to save me typing it again!). I’m in your part of the world, SE Northumberland. Retired 5 years ago.

I go back a long way. First camera my dad’s Praktica, then moved on to Olympus OM10, then to a succession of Canons, ending up a few years back with the 5D. Mirrorless really excited me and I ditched Canon and went into Fujifilm, first XT1 then 3. But then I got a bit bored with photography for some reason, but reading about the R7 and in particular its amazing autofocus convinced me to get back into it so I took the plunge and bought it with the 18-150 a week ago. I’ll be mainly using it for family, landscapes and birds, and so far I am mightily impressed. The ‘kit’ lens is much better than expected and I have the 100-400 on order. Hoping to pick up some tips from this community.

I have now got the 100-400 and it’s a cracking lens. Light, sharp enough for me, excellent IS. I’ve had this setup for about 4 weeks now and I‘m still blown away by its capabilities. The way it locks on, and stays on, to a bird’s eye is uncanny.

Trev/marineboy. Beautiful part of the country. My parents retired there and my sister still lives in the Alnwick area. I try to make it over every few years. Planning to spend some time there next spring.

Hi Trevor. I joined this forum a few months back, this is my introductory post (copied and pasted to save me typing it again!). I’m in your part of the world, SE Northumberland. Retired 5 years ago.

I go back a long way. First camera my dad’s Praktica, then moved on to Olympus OM10, then to a succession of Canons, ending up a few years back with the 5D. Mirrorless really excited me and I ditched Canon and went into Fujifilm, first XT1 then 3. But then I got a bit bored with photography for some reason, but reading about the R7 and in particular its amazing autofocus convinced me to get back into it so I took the plunge and bought it with the 18-150 a week ago. I’ll be mainly using it for family, landscapes and birds, and so far I am mightily impressed. The ‘kit’ lens is much better than expected and I have the 100-400 on order. Hoping to pick up some tips from this community.

I have now got the 100-400 and it’s a cracking lens. Light, sharp enough for me, excellent IS. I’ve had this setup for about 4 weeks now and I‘m still blown away by its capabilities. The way it locks on, and stays on, to a bird’s eye is uncanny.

Hi Nick, Thanks for your message. I have been looking a lot over the last 6 months or so at the 100-400. It was tempting for the price I have to say. I think for now though I need t replace my existing BenQ SW2700PT monitor as it is getting a bit long in the tooth..... A bite like me really :)

Trev/marineboy. Beautiful part of the country. My parents retired there and my sister still lives in the Alnwick area. I try to make it over every few years. Planning to spend some time there next spring.

Hi Ian,

It is indeed a beautiful part of the country. We spend a lot of time in places like Alnmouth, Amble, Seahouses and Bamburgh. Enjoy your next visit.

Welcome Trevor and thank you for joining up here. With retirement pending I hope you make a very speedy recovery back to health and can fully enjoy your R5 sooner rather than later.

Hi everyone. I am so glad to had found a dedicated forum for Canon R mount shooters. I have been blundering around with an R5 for about 6-8 months now without really getting to grips with it. Work has been a bit brutal as well as being in the process of recovering from a serious bout of ill health that all got rather close to the edge as it were. Time to re-evaluate things etc. Retirement is looming (65 years old) and I want to get ready to be able to fully use all the benefits of my final chosen camera system (famous last words :) ). Anyway I look forward to learning from all you other Canon R system users as time goes by.

Best wishes

Trev
Hi Trev,

Nice to make your acquaintance! I joined the forum a few days ago and have spent some time since then randomly reading posts is the various sections - seems a very friendly place! I was going tpost an introductory message of my own but thought that I'd kill two birds with one stone by replying to yours. Like you, I've recently bought an R5 but a bout of poor health has limited my first shots to the garden. I'm hoping to get out and about a bit more in near future. I love landscape photography as well as concert photography ( shooting mainly unsigned bands) and I'm really looking forward to seeing if the R5 is an improvement over my 5D and 5D Mk III, which I've used for many years.

Also like you I'm nearing retirement (64) and am hoping to make the most of my free time.

I hope that your health continues to improve, and that you can fully enjoy your new toy 😊

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back