From a veteran of DPReview and a new transplant to North Carolina

Dafrank

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
David
Howdy to all gathered here, for the love of, and knowledge about, all things photographic, but centered around Canon RF gear.

My name is David Franklin, and I have very recently moved from my longtime home in suburban Detroit, Michigan to my new home near Raleigh, NC.

I had been a Forum member at DPReview since 2002, but I had been a lurker there for a long time before that. I have been (and still am) a professional photographer for 45 or so years, starting out, after a brief time as an assistant, shooting editorial work, mostly of people, for local and national magazines like Time, Newsweek, People, Forbes, Sports Illustrated and many others across the country. I also did a whole lot of corporate and product work as well. Eventually, after doing a lot of car stuff for Motor Trend, Car & Driver and Automobile magazines - and then corporate stuff for many car companies on location - I transitioned to shoot mostly cars for corporate and advertising uses, while building a large and well equipped studio for that purpose.

I was a relative pioneer in digital photo imaging, starting in the mid 1990's, when I started scanning my work on in-house drum scanners and, using some of the first desk-top computers capable of handling "big" files, retouching and compositing automobile images for my commercial clients. In retrospect, the details of doing this are somewhat comical given our current tech, but when it was happening, it was startling and somewhat amazing. I shot every format from 35mm to 8"x10" film, but was always looking for a complete digital capture workflow to eliminate film altogether. I found the first instance of this in my initial horribly expensive Phase One back and compatible camera systems - which got me to first start reading DPReview - and then, grateful for the lower prices, my later Nikon D!X's. But, I didn't start posting in the original Canon DSLR forums until I switched my "handheld" camera system to a couple of Canon 1DsII's and began the journey to drop medium format digital altogether. I've shot Canon ever since, first with DSLR's, and for the last few years with my RF system - first the "R", the the R5. I'm working a little less and a little slower in the past several years, closing my studio and working only on location, but have been able to spend some time to share some things I've learned and learn new ones from others, by participating in DPR, and now RF Shooters forum, among you all who share my passion for photography.

Welcome David and thank you very much for joining up here and taking the time to introduce yourself. Great to hear that you’ve been successful at making a living from something that you clearly love. Do you have a favourite car photo that you’ve taken?

Thanks Tim,
I've shot so many car pictures that I can't really have one favorite. But if you want to see some of my car work - and some of my non-car work, you can see some good examples at my somewhat rudimentary (and now frozen in about 2013 - haven't updated it since then) but representative website:
After you see the short "animated" loop on the landing page, there are quite a few car shots there, organized in folders by the companies for which I did much of my work. But there are also some people shots I was quite fond of - see, for example the folder "People at Work" which contains mostly editorial photography.
I will at some time in the near future be updating my site to better reflect the work I've been doing for the last 10 years, but I certainly like what's on there now; I've been either too busy with work, or too lazy when I'm not working, to change it up until now. Hope you enjoy looking at some of it.

Thanks Tim,
I've shot so many car pictures that I can't really have one favorite. But if you want to see some of my car work - and some of my non-car work, you can see some good examples at my somewhat rudimentary (and now frozen in about 2013 - haven't updated it since then) but representative website:
After you see the short "animated" loop on the landing page, there are quite a few car shots there, organized in folders by the companies for which I did much of my work. But there are also some people shots I was quite fond of - see, for example the folder "People at Work" which contains mostly editorial photography.
I will at some time in the near future be updating my site to better reflect the work I've been doing for the last 10 years, but I certainly like what's on there now; I've been either too busy with work, or too lazy when I'm not working, to change it up until now. Hope you enjoy looking at some of it.
Love, love, love your people shots! Especially the "People Politicians Real People".

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back