Canon R5 Higher ISO...I'm surprised and impressed!

Dave Williams

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Dave Williams
Having come from a series of ID bodies, latterly the 1DX2, I was in two minds as to whether I should choose the R6 over the R5 as it supposedly has a better high ISO performance. If it has it must be very impressive because at ISO 16,000 the R5 isn't too shabby either. Taken through the double glazing and in to a fairly poorly lit area ( 20W LED outside right) I couldn't drop the shutter speed any lower than 1/200th because of motion blur. The aperture of my EF 70-200mm f2.8 was wide open. A touch of Topaz and not too much cropping and I thought the result was acceptable given the circumstances.

Attachments

• _G7A9419-DeNoiseAI-denoise.jpg
    _G7A9419-DeNoiseAI-denoise.jpg
    431.9 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
That is indeed impressive Dave and lucky you for having Badgers that visit your garden. One thing I have always cursed is having to put off a client because the gloomy conditions won't let me shoot fast enough. The 5DIV is good at higher ISOs but, so far, I'm really impressed with my R5. These aren't up to the ISO level of your image but at up to 5000 they give me confidence to shoot on any day.

Frosty-3400.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
  • 140.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 1600
Frosty-3443.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 135.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 2000

Frosty-3230.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 800
Logbook-0295.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM
  • 312.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 5000

Last edited:
Yesterday I shot a few photos at iso 6400 and 12800, the noise is terrible...What am I doing wrong? Or just it is, what it is. The lighting conditions were terrible, so I bet it was the reason.
4X2A6527-2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 12800

I have just been looking at the shots I was taking yesterday in dull cloudy conditions and straight out of the camera they are not brilliant even at ISO 3200 to be honest but with a bit of PP they can be recovered nicely.At ISO 1600, no problem at all. Just to see what the results were at ISO 10,000 I took a few shots and they are not acceptable looking the way they do.My Topaz trial has just run out so I can't run them through there to see the difference but I have a feeling they would be much improved. Personally I'm going to limit my ISO to 3200 and aim for 1600 wherever I can. Topaz is good but lower ISO is better. Over expose the images, the noise is then less apparent , but if you are trying to freeze action then it's not always easy to do that. Apologies if I'm teaching Granny to suck eggs, you may well be far more qualified than I am, but looking at the shot above you could have reduced the shutter speed and still frozen the action, wound the zoom in to give a larger aperture and cropped larger. If you can and you have already cropped the shot, how about winding back the zoom to 250mm which gives a minimum aperture of f5 and then shooting in 1.6 crop mode that gives the same view as it would at 400mm but still f5?

I have just been looking at the shots I was taking yesterday in dull cloudy conditions and straight out of the camera they are not brilliant even at ISO 3200 to be honest but with a bit of PP they can be recovered nicely.At ISO 1600, no problem at all. Just to see what the results were at ISO 10,000 I took a few shots and they are not acceptable looking the way they do.My Topaz trial has just run out so I can't run them through there to see the difference but I have a feeling they would be much improved. Personally I'm going to limit my ISO to 3200 and aim for 1600 wherever I can. Topaz is good but lower ISO is better. Over expose the images, the noise is then less apparent , but if you are trying to freeze action then it's not always easy to do that. Apologies if I'm teaching Granny to suck eggs, you may well be far more qualified than I am, but looking at the shot above you could have reduced the shutter speed and still frozen the action, wound the zoom in to give a larger aperture and cropped larger. If you can and you have already cropped the shot, how about winding back the zoom to 250mm which gives a minimum aperture of f5 and then shooting in 1.6 crop mode that gives the same view as it would at 400mm but still f5?

That was my initial thoughts when I saw the results in lightroom. It was my first time photoshooting sports, so I hope I learnt something. Next time I will try shooting at 250-300mm with F5.6 and lower iso and just crop the image. Thank you, mt friend.

This one is at 12800, 1/1000. F7.1 taken a couple of nights ago. As a pro said to me “any shot is better than none at all“ I just accept it for what it is, maybe get creative on the processing, go b&w or smooth it out.

D8B544BA-B8DB-496F-A573-2AFF082D6698.jpeg

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali
Back