Highlights Alert!

That’s not the same. Those are seen in the preview when the picture is already taken.
This is how I see it working for me. When the Exposer Simulation is set to ENABLE I see the expected image exposure value in the screen and viewfinder (no blinking just the anticipated exposure). Blinking highlights are not necessary. When ExpSim is set to DISABLE, the image on the screen and in the viewfinder will brighten as necessary to allow the camera to achieve focus in low light conditions. Additionally, when the ExpSim is set to DISABLE, and you try and view an overexposed condition the screen will dim so you can see more detail. When you take the shot, the overexposure will show the blinking areas to indicate the overexposure. In essence, with ExpSim set to ENABLE you are viewing the anticipated exposure before you press the shutter. You should be able to see where the overexposure will occur on the screen in the ExpSim set to ENABLE mode and adjust your exposure accordingly before capturing the image.
This is how it works for me. I just tested this again to confirm this so as I said, with ExpSim set to ENABLE you are looking at the anticipated exposure on the screen and should be able to adjust your exposure as necessary before pressing the shutter. Not sure that having the "Zebra Stripes" blinking is necessary in photo mode. JMHO

Current Gear: Canon EOS R5
Backup Camera: None Yet.
Past Gear: Canon 5D MKIII, Canon XLH1

Last edited:
I guess it is a matter of get used. I find the Zebra Stripes super useful when using a Sony Camera.

I used the Zebra Stripes when shooting videos for years and agree they can be very helpful, but I do find them annoying when shooting photos. That is just me. I find that they obscure details that may be important. In shooting video where its image seems to constantly be changing on average, this is less important than the exposure. It is easy to adjust exposure in a single image and get it right as opposed to "a stream of pictures" that are typically different. Just how I have developed my own preferences and that is for each of us to determine for ourselves. One of the limiting factors is the capabilities of the tools themselves. When we choose a tool we must often work within it's limitations. A Marine friend of mine is often apt to say, "adapt and overcome". ;)(y)

I used the Zebra Stripes when shooting videos for years and agree they can be very helpful, but I do find them annoying when shooting photos. That is just me. I find that they obscure details that may be important. In shooting video where its image seems to constantly be changing on average, this is less important than the exposure. It is easy to adjust exposure in a single image and get it right as opposed to "a stream of pictures" that are typically different. Just how I have developed my own preferences and that is for each of us to determine for ourselves. One of the limiting factors is the capabilities of the tools themselves. When we choose a tool we must often work within it's limitations. A Marine friend of mine is often apt to say, "adapt and overcome". ;)(y)
That have been my moto always, adapt to overcome. I see many people complaining and returning gadgets because they are not capable to adapt.

The R5 is forgiving for over exposed shots. If your histogram hasn't left the box to the right it should usually be recoverable.
I'm happy with that and don't really want blinkies when I'm setting up a shot as it would be distracting from the subject matter which in my case is usually wildlife of some kind. I must admit though "what you see is what you get' isn't as true as I was led to believe was the case when looking through a mirrorless viewfinder, mind you it's a lot better than a DSLR!

I don't want blinkies in my EVF either. However, I do have the histogram displayed in the EVF and use it a lot. Just like Aether said above, be sure the histogram is not blocked all the way to the right and you should be OK.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back