Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Ken Alexander
City/State
Camberley
Not sure why this is happening regarding my image file names. On my R5 I have my file name set up as KR5_ for user setting 1. It used to be fine but it now seems to be putting _R5_ in front of the image number. Very odd. Anyone got any thoughts?

Hi Ken, I'm not sure what would cause that though I wonder if installing the latest firmware update could have changed the setting. I don't think that 1.5.1 changed anything on my R5, but who knows. Have you tried resetting the file names to something completely different, testing to ensure that this new naming pattern worked, then reverting to your preferred pattern?

Hi Ken, I'm not sure what would cause that though I wonder if installing the latest firmware update could have changed the setting. I don't think that 1.5.1 changed anything on my R5, but who knows. Have you tried resetting the file names to something completely different, testing to ensure that this new naming pattern worked, then reverting to your preferred pattern?
I think I will try your suggestion of resetting and see what happens. Only recently gone over to Windows 11 as I have replaced my 12 year old machine.

Not sure why this is happening regarding my image file names. On my R5 I have my file name set up as KR5_ for user setting 1. It used to be fine but it now seems to be putting _R5_ in front of the image number. Very odd. Anyone got any thoughts?
Ken, I ran into this when I got my R5 and swapped over from Nikon. I might get a detail or two wrong here, but (1) it seems Canon requires the '_' as the last character in the filename (I believe Nikon inserted on after your customization), and (2), it will not shift it to the front if you're shooting in the Adobe color space, it will simply overwrite the first character. I occasionally shoot Raw+Jpeg, but given that the file name is more important to me than having a jpeg in the Adobe color space I changed to sRGB and got the file name I wanted.

If you're not shooting in Adobe color space then I have it wrong, but I just did a quick test and duplicated it. sRGB had the full text (KR5_), Adobe RGB didn't (_R5_). I've lodged my complaint to my Canon Pro Rep (who spent 5 years getting me to switch) as he's been keen to hear all my complaints about "what Nikon does better", but I'm guessing this one's a non-starter since it's probably a long-standing standard for them. Would be nice to have an option instead of the forced underscore.

Ken, I ran into this when I got my R5 and swapped over from Nikon. I might get a detail or two wrong here, but (1) it seems Canon requires the '_' as the last character in the filename (I believe Nikon inserted on after your customization), and (2), it will not shift it to the front if you're shooting in the Adobe color space, it will simply overwrite the first character. I occasionally shoot Raw+Jpeg, but given that the file name is more important to me than having a jpeg in the Adobe color space I changed to sRGB and got the file name I wanted.

If you're not shooting in Adobe color space then I have it wrong, but I just did a quick test and duplicated it. sRGB had the full text (KR5_), Adobe RGB didn't (_R5_). I've lodged my complaint to my Canon Pro Rep (who spent 5 years getting me to switch) as he's been keen to hear all my complaints about "what Nikon does better", but I'm guessing this one's a non-starter since it's probably a long-standing standard for them. Would be nice to have an option instead of the forced underscore.
Thanks for the heads up on this. Just checked and I do indeed have it set to Adobe RGB. I have now set to sRGB and will see what happens when I down load some new images.

Jake, I can confirm that changing back to sRGB has solved the file naming problem. I wonder how many people know this? Many thanks once
again for your help.
It took me a while to figure it out, so I understand the frustration. No one needs to play with it that long. LOL

My brother is an old newspaper photographer and never shoots raw. He'd been using the R5 for a while so I stole his settings after he let me borrow his to convince me to finally give up my Nikons. He had it set to Adobe RGB, and I know from experience that camera companies will move the '_' in the name to the front so photographers can tell when they're in Adobe vs. sRGB, but for the life of me I can't figure out why Canon truncates the first letter instead of rotating it from the 4th position to the first?!

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back