Is it worth it to buy a refurbished camera?

Hali

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Hali
City/State
Rhode Island, US
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I am in the market for a backup camera for my R5. I have an RP that is a full spectrum conversion, but I would like to leave that for straight IR work. I am going to get an R6 and was thinking of a refurb, but it seems that the price difference isn't really all that great. Has anyone bought a refurb from Canon and think it's worth the $200 or so dollars I'd save on it? I suppose that would pay for a CarePak for 3 years?

Back when I shot Nikon I bought a refurb D7100 and never regretted it. I saved something like $300, but that was on a camera that was selling for $1400. You're talking about a discount of less than 10% on a camera for which you would then have to consider purchasing an extra care package. For me that answers the question - buy new. If I can save 20% or more then I'll look at refurbs. I liked Nikons because when you unboxed it you could see how many clicks the shutter had (my D7100 had less than 100). Canon, as far as I've been able to discern, doesn't afford you that privilege (PLEASE tell me how if I'm wrong - and I'm looking for exact count).

I have bought cams and lenses from Canon Refurb and all were like new. Shutter count is irrelevant as the cams are not old models, but ones that have been returned for some reason and have been fully reset and checked. I don't care if a refurb has even 10k clicks on a 150k click shutter that may easily go 250k clicks. And you get a full warranty on refurbs.

If you have a Canon Camera, you can get 20% off new and 10% off refurbs through the Canon Loyalty Program.

I have never had any issues with Canon refurb lenses. Loyalty program as RedCobra mentioned can make the discount even better.

Back when I shot Nikon I bought a refurb D7100 and never regretted it. I saved something like $300, but that was on a camera that was selling for $1400. You're talking about a discount of less than 10% on a camera for which you would then have to consider purchasing an extra care package. For me that answers the question - buy new. If I can save 20% or more then I'll look at refurbs. I liked Nikons because when you unboxed it you could see how many clicks the shutter had (my D7100 had less than 100). Canon, as far as I've been able to discern, doesn't afford you that privilege (PLEASE tell me how if I'm wrong - and I'm looking for exact count).
Thanks, and yes, you don't know how many clicks are on the shutter unless you use an app or send it to Canon.

I have bought cams and lenses from Canon Refurb and all were like new. Shutter count is irrelevant as the cams are not old models, but ones that have been returned for some reason and have been fully reset and checked. I don't care if a refurb has even 10k clicks on a 150k click shutter that may easily go 250k clicks. And you get a full warranty on refurbs.

If you have a Canon Camera, you can get 20% off new and 10% off refurbs through the Canon Loyalty Program.
I didn't know about the Canon Loyalty program. How do you go about getting that? I've registered all of my Canon lenses and cameras, so I should qualify.

So I called today and inquired about the canon loyalty program to buy an R6. I have an old 7D sitting on my shelf so that qualified, however the R6 and R5 are no longer on the program according to the woman I talked with. I guess I shall wait and see what Canon Price Watch comes up with.

So I called today and inquired about the canon loyalty program to buy an R6. I have an old 7D sitting on my shelf so that qualified, however the R6 and R5 are no longer on the program according to the woman I talked with. I guess I shall wait and see what Canon Price Watch comes up with.
This changes depending on which rep you talk to. Strange but true.

So I tried again today, and person I talked to told me I could get 10% off a refurbed R6. I'm guessing that's probably a good enough discount. Any thoughts?

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back