Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Sebastien
Hi all,

First time I saw this. It's been a year that I had my R5 and I never had issue.

Does anyone know what is this?

As you can see (between two rectangles) the image is blur.

sample-R5.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
So the issue reported, i have now seen. Not on my own photos but one i am using following a photoshop book. Said photo was taken by Scott Kelby on a Canon R6. So having had a look i think the issue is with Adobe Camera Raw, not the camera. If i load the shot into ACR the fringing appears, if looked at in other apps there is no fringing. Which leads (me at least) to the conclusion that is an ACR issue and not the camera. I cant put the picture up to show as is not mine to share. Fringing appears when viewing in bridge also. When i looked to import it into LRC, it looked fine before import, but fringing shows once imported.
Just once?

From a RAW file?

Have you tried to read the file again from the card?

It looks like data corruption to me.

No idea and have never seen it. A couple suggestions to see if anything changes:
  • Try a different RAW editor and see if the images are the same
  • Try opening an image directly from the card
  • If you imported directly from the card try copying the files to a hard drive first and then import
  • Put the card back in and take some more photos without reformatting and see if it's the same, then reformat and see if it's not
  • If the condition persists, try a different card and slot
  • If you were shooting electronic shutter try mechanical (or vice versa)
It seems like the sensor read is incomplete or something is being applied to the edges like it would if you were creating a canvas wrap. The latter is why I want you to try other editors in case there's something that got set somewhere to apply a wrapped edge (it may be in the software and not the file).

Again, no idea, just spitballing.

Only the sides are "smeared" like that. The top and bottom are not.

Did any settings get changed? Maybe you could post the EXIF. Did you also shoot JPEG, and if so, does the JPEG show the same thing?

Looking closely at the photo, the pixels around the periphery are smeared. All four sides are affected. The smear boundary is approximately 100-150 px from the edge, but varies systematically. It might be caused by errors reading the sensor. If it continues, I would consider refreshing or updating the camera's firmware. If that doesn't help, there might be a problem with the sensor.

Here is a closeup of the top right corner.

sample-R5 detail.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
  • 58.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 2000

It might be worth trying mechanical shutter if this was shot with electronic shutter, or v.v.

Last edited:
Good catch. The corners are like that. However, the majority of the top and bottom are not, whereas the sides seem uniformly smeared.

Interesting that the smearing is not consistent! It's very clear in the section you cropped that there is a ragged edge.

@charlands , what is your workflow for getting the images off the camera? Is this RAW downloaded into DPP or what?

Good catch. The corners are like that. However, the majority of the top and bottom are not, whereas the sides seem uniformly smeared.

Interesting that the smearing is not consistent! It's very clear in the section you cropped that there is a ragged edge.

@charlands , what is your workflow for getting the images off the camera? Is this RAW downloaded into DPP or what?
All the edges are like that. Look closely. The boundaries are slightly curved. (Boundary = where good becomes corrupted in the photo.) It's quite fascinating, but I can't imagine how exactly it is happening. The pixels at the exact boundary are smeared to the edge of the photo. The smears are nearly but not exactly vertical at the top and bottom, and close to horizontal at the sides. The angle of the smear varies systematically along each edge.

Most likely the firmware is doing it, but I don't know, maybe it's the sensor.

I would shoot some pics in both raw and JPG, and in CRAW too.

So the issue reported, i have now seen. Not on my own photos but one i am using following a photoshop book. Said photo was taken by Scott Kelby on a Canon R6. So having had a look i think the issue is with Adobe Camera Raw, not the camera. If i load the shot into ACR the fringing appears, if looked at in other apps there is no fringing. Which leads (me at least) to the conclusion that is an ACR issue and not the camera. I cant put the picture up to show as is not mine to share. Fringing appears when viewing in bridge also. When i looked to import it into LRC, it looked fine before import, but fringing shows once imported.

Solution
So that's os a very good news! I'll check ASAP. Indeed I'm using Photoshop camera Raw.

Sorry about that... never had a notification. Got a thunderbird card reader to nvme ssd external drive transfert (Mac)

Can you tell if the smeared area is inside the nominal image size or outside? I was wondering if this might be the sort of "working area" of IS which is discarded by Canon software but maybe not by outside software.

Can you tell if the smeared area is inside the nominal image size or outside? I was wondering if this might be the sort of "working area" of IS which is discarded by Canon software but maybe not by outside software.
I thought of that too, and it is an interesting possibility, but the photo is 8192 x 5464 px which is what my R5 shoots too.

If it is a Camera Raw issue, why doesn't it happen with my R5 pics?

So I dowloaded the Canon Digital Photo Professional 4 and the Image is good! MrSparks999 thank you very much!

So the issue is really Adobe Camera Raw (v16.5.1 on my side)

FYI I use the latest firmware for R5 (2.0.0)

Last edited:
So I dowloaded the Canon Digital Photo Professional 4 and the Image is good! MrSparks999 thank you very much!

Maybe your ACR is corrupt. No problem with mine or (apparently) anyone else's. I'm on 16.5.0.1954.

What image dimensions does DPP show?

This is interesting! Any chance you can post the RAW and the JPEG from ACR somewhere so we can compare? I can send you an FTP link if you don't have a way.

For your information there are some people complaining about this issue on Adobe community : https://community.adobe.com/t5/came...0-lens-profile-v3/idc-p/14844260/page/2#M5808 seems relate to the Canon 24-240 lens
I just ran into this with my R6 MkI and the 24-240, so thanks for this heads up. I had it on one of 3 images taken the other afternoon (other 2 are fine). I turned off the "Enable Profile Corrections" in Lightroom and they disappear, so it's definitely an Adobe issue - but an easily correctable one.

R60_5135-sharpened.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6
  • 62.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 100

Looking at the unadjusted image on the right you can see that it chooses to extend the image as a part of the profile adjustment. Strange.

And an interesting thing is that, for all the things DxO Pure Raw ignores in Lightroom (like camera profile, crop, etc.), if you leave the ACR profile correction checked then the error persists coming out of Pure Raw, even though it applies its own profile correction.

Last edited:
@Jake Shoots Birds , weird. Why would the stripy border appear only on some photos? The corrected image is just cropped, right? Are its dimensions less than the normal dimensions for the R6?
The issue is not with the file but with the way Adobe processes the lens profile. I have to assume it does some interpolation of image content and not just lens and current focal length, but I don't know. The "correct" image has no crop, whereas Camera Raw decided to pull the short edges in without cropping in (something I've seen it do on other lenses). It may also have to do with specific focal lengths for the lens, which would explain why not all are that way. This was at 62mm. Another was at 58mm and ACR does the same pulling in, but without creating the artifacts.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back