Keep using EF lenses or swap to RF version?

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

tpatana

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Tero Patana
Kinda talking out aloud, but also looking for opinions and angle/thought I might have not seen myself.

This question is specifically for my indoor sports shooting, all other shooting types are more clear.

I used to have 1DX and 5D4, and usually I had 70-200 on 1DX and Sigma 85mm Art on 5D4 (often used by assistant). If/when shooting teams/poses, would usually swap to 24-70mm on the 5D4.

I sold the 5D4 and bought R5, and currently for RF lenses I have 28-70 and 35mm/1.8.

Sports hasn't started yet, but I'm thinking/planning how I would use the lenses, and if I should buy more. Too many options, hence writing them down helps to narrow down.

Option1: Don't buy anything, use EF 70-200 on R5 with adapter, and use Sigma 85mm on 1DX
Pros: no need to buy more lenses
Cons: Would RF 70-200 be better for quality? fps? AF performance? smaller too

Option1-B: Sell EF70-200 and buy RF 70-200.
Pros: better quality lens (marginally?)
Cons: Can't use 70-200 on 1DX anymore even if I wanted. ~$1k extra money.

Option2: Buy RF 70-200
Pro: can use 70-200 on both bodies on their native mount
Cons: same lens twice, lot of money too

Option3: Sell Sigma 85mm and buy RF 85mm DS (I'm kinda eyeing that lens for other shooting too...), use EF70-200 on 1DX and RF85mm on R5
Pros: I'd get awesome portrait lens too
Cons: Lot of money. Main lens (70-200) would be on older body (not that 1DX is a slouch)

I like each of the option for different reasons.

Any thoughts that would make me lean towards any of those? Option1 is my current state, and sports hasn't started anyway so in a way I have lot of time to think about this, no need to do rash decisions. But also lenses are mostly sold out, so getting in order earlier would get me lens sooner.

I recently bought RF70-200. For now I'm also keeping the EF version so I can shoot R5 + 1DX with the same lens.

One big change from R5+adapter+EF70-200 to R5+RF70-200 is the size when packed. Takes almost half the space (length-wise) in backpack. It was never really a problem, just nice delighter how small it packs.

I recently bought RF70-200. For now I'm also keeping the EF version so I can shoot R5 + 1DX with the same lens.

One big change from R5+adapter+EF70-200 to R5+RF70-200 is the size when packed. Takes almost half the space (length-wise) in backpack. It was never really a problem, just nice delighter how small it packs.

Reduced size is a positive but the RF version won't accept a TC whereas the EF one does so that's a counter balance negative in my view.
Then there's the price too!

Currently I have a Canon R and R7 and several RF lenses; 16mm, 35mm, 50mm, 24-105mm, 70-200mm and 800mm. I still own EF and EFs mount lenses in other focal lengths and don't foresee replacing them for a couple of reasons. I also shoot with the Canon M system and can adapt the EF lenses to be used on either the RF or MF mount cameras. Some I just don't use very often so why bother replacing them as I will take a loss on the sale of the older lenses. Like my 100mm macro. I shoot macro a few times a year so just using it with the RF adapter is not a big deal. Same for my Canon EF 85mm f/1.2.

I have both a R5 and a R7, along with a whole set of legacy EF glass (L and non-L). I have built up a collection of RF lenses (50 1.8, 14-35 L, 24-105 L, 24-240, 70-200 2.8L, 100-500 L as well as the RF-S 18-150 kit lens that came with my R7).

I don’t know that i really see any IQ difference between my RF 70-200 f2.8L and my EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II. Both are outstanding i that regard. However there are reasons I gave my EF lens to my son for his birthday (to use with the 5D IV that he purchased from me. The RF lens is MUCH smaller. Compared to the EF lens plus adapter the RF lens is tiny (or the EF lens is enormous). In addition, the RF 70-200 f2.8 coupled with the IBIS in the R5 and R7 is simply unparalleled in MY experience.

I am able to handhold at 1/4 second f2.8 and 200mm using this lens, allowing me, for example, to get really beautiful, creamy shots of water flowing over a waterfall without using a tripod or rest. This is dramatically improved compared to what I am able to do with the adapted EF lens on the R5 for example.

Chris

I still have my 7DII and 5D4 as I love them and they do make good backups and are useful in niche cases. I have 14 L lenses to go with them.
Then I got EOS R, R5 and R7 with just the Trinity of three lenses in f2.8 to start and adapting my 14 L lenses. I found the RF lenses to be better and expanded slowly. Before I knew it I was where I am now. I may trim some of my L lenses or not. My 11 RF lenses are fantastic and I do have the RF135 on order at B&H. Duplication is useful at times. Trimming my EF lenses makes sense but it is not easily done. In a couple of years I will know what I do not really use.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back