Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Mark Seymour
City/State
Rutland
Hi all

Looking to get the RF200-800 when i can (no stock anywhere). However i had a thought, perhaps to get an R7 and use my RF100-500. This options would certainly be cheaper, and with the cropped sensor i would get the 800mm but wondered if anyone had experience of this or thoughts. Currently using the R6 MKii, so R7 would be second body.

Thanks in Advance

also does anyone have experience of using the 1.4 extender on the R7 Rf100-500 set up?

I use the R7 and 100-500mm on most outings and it is an amazing combo. You can crop severely and IQ holds up.

I would expect the 200-800mm to be even better for reach, but it is too heavy for me, so I'm not considering it.

I'm not a fan of converting focal lengths when using crop bodies. 500mm is always 500mm. If it goes to 800mm on a crop body, it would also go to 800mm on your R6 II when you crop afterwards. And what about cropping an R7 photo?

I know you are thinking about reach, but that is affected by pixel density and not by format size.

As many have said, the R7 often suffers AF failures, so be prepared for that.

I have considered the 1.4x but am hesitating. It gives more reach but you lose a stop, and will give more aberrations. I don't know of many good comparisons of TC vs cropping. It may turn out that technique is more important. You may not see a difference unless you are shooting on a tripod. I might get one, but it is not a priority.

Hi all

Looking to get the RF200-800 when i can (no stock anywhere). However i had a thought, perhaps to get an R7 and use my RF100-500. This options would certainly be cheaper, and with the cropped sensor i would get the 800mm but wondered if anyone had experience of this or thoughts. Currently using the R6 MKii, so R7 would be second body.

Thanks in Advance
I did that, but sold my R7 after 3 months due to the AF issues, lack of 3rd wheel, and the different ergonomics from the R5. Get the lens when possible. However, I note that many comparisons between the RF 200-800 and the RF 100-500 with the 1.4TC are favorable. (420-700 @ f/10.0)

I had a 100-500 and convinced a lady with an R7 to buy one with a 1.4x converter from our dealers as opposed to wait for a 200-800 as I felt it was to me a better option for her ... she also wouldn't have realistically been able to get the 200-800 for when she needed anywhere as was off to Africa a week after I spoke to her !

If you look at lens comparisons at 500mm the RF 100-500 is sharper. I expect with the 1.4x converter it will still be noticeable better than the 200-800 and give loads more options / flexibility.

The RF 1.4x converter is not big at all and the RF 100-500 is a stunning lens. I only have experience on an R5 but she wanted the most on an R7 for reach and quality + had been considering the combo she ended up buying. I genuinely believe she made the right choice.

The 200-800 is no doubt great but given the option of it or, as I have put above, the 100-500 and 1,4x is my choice !

If you want the 200-800 in the UK atm try HDEW in Wallington. They did have limited stock available. I have bought a lot from them and they guarantee themselves as the items as 'grey' but they have been in business many many years. *No I don't work for them but have been a happy customer since getting my first 5D II from them.

[...]Looking to get the RF200-800 when i can (no stock anywhere). However i had a thought, perhaps to get an R7 and use my RF100-500. This options would certainly be cheaper, and with the cropped sensor i would get the 800mm but wondered if anyone had experience of this or thoughts. Currently using the R6 MKii, so R7 would be second body.[...]
I'm using an R8 (same AF and sensor as your R6II) and an R7 and for the things I shoot, which is mostly opportunistic wildlife till we get more dragonflies, the AF on the R7 is a noticeable step back from the R8. It struggles with hugely out-of-focus subjects and detects the head/eyes a lot later.

The extra 'reach' I get compared to the R8 makes up for it, but I'll always consider using the R8 first, that generates much less friction for my shooting.

The R7 is a great camera, but it loses a bit of its lustre if you have used a camera with a faster sensor, like the R3, R5, R6II or R8.

I’ve the 100-500 and 1.4 combo. The image quality is fine for me. The biggest downside for me is the extender physically stops the full range of the lens. With it attached you can only zoom down to 300mm on the lens. This effectively makes the Lens a 420-700mm.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back