Making animated-gif in Photoshop. Can I apply clone stamp to multiple layers?

jcass

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Jim Cassidy
City/State
Central Pennsylvania
I have 22 photos loaded as layers in Photoshop and aligned. There is a orange rope in the photos over grass at the bottom of the images. I can crop it out, but would prefer to keep the full aspect ratio. Using remove tool or clone stamp on the individual creates a flicker effect where the rope was.

Is there a way in Photoshop to apply a clone-stamp to all layers to minimize or eliminate the flicker effect in the animated gif?

Attachments

• CannonAnimatedGif-1.jpg
    CannonAnimatedGif-1.jpg
    884.9 KB · Views: 59
Can you try, in each aligned layer, one at a time, selecting the rope with the lasso tool, right clicking on the selection and selecting Delete and Fill Selection?

Can you try, in each aligned layer, one at a time, selecting the rope with the lasso tool, right clicking on the selection and selecting Delete and Fill Selection?
If I'm understanding you correctly, that is what I've done. It creates the effect in the attached gif.

AntietamReenactment.gif

I think the problem is that the Delete and Fill action is somewhat different each time it is used. Perhaps you could use it only on the first frame and then copy and paste that area into each successive frame in the same location? You might want to blur the edges of the selection slightly before copying and pasting.

What is there that you want gone?

What is there that you want gone?
In the first post, see the orange rope across the bottom third. For a single photo it is easy to remove. For multiple frames in a animated gif, I need a way to apply the same edit to each layer so that the edit is exactly the same in all frames of the animated gif. Modifying each layer independently creates a strong flicker effect in the gif. So, I'm looking for an edit technique that can be applied across all layers.

In the first post, see the orange rope across the bottom third. For a single photo it is easy to remove. For multiple frames in a animated gif, I need a way to apply the same edit to each layer so that the edit is exactly the same in all frames of the animated gif. Modifying each layer independently creates a strong flicker effect in the gif. So, I'm looking for an edit technique that can be applied across all layers.
Use guidelines and cut and paste the entire section across all layers? How many layers are we talking about? If not too big or many zip 'em and send them over and let me have a look if you like!

Can you point me to a tutorial? There are 22 layers. I've aligned the layers. And thanks for your help.

Can you point me to a tutorial? There are 22 layers. I've aligned the layers. And thanks for your help.
No problem man!

I wouldn't know where to find one my friend. I kinda just wing it and if anyone saw how I accomplish things they'd probably lean over and click two mouse buttons to show me how I SHOULD be doing it and walk away laughing.

If your layers are aligned and cropped, lay a horizontal guide line across the width of the top layer that separates the part you want gone (the line) and the part you want to keep (the action). Clone out the line using your verion of a clone tool or better yet, an inpainting brush. Make the removal as tight as possible.. Now use the marquee tool and select the entire lower rectangle below the guide line you laid down earlier and copy the resultant rectangle onto your clipboard. Then using the eyeball method and the guide line (use snapping of course) paste the entire rectangle into every layer placing every effort to line it up. It should come out mostly seamless. I can make a little diagram if that'll help.

I used this method to make this mess.

BANZAI 18 Frames.gif

Or this wreck:

Gull in Flight.gif

Last edited:
I'll give that a try.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back