Followers
Following
Name
Michael Ziese
City/State
Weil im Schönbuch / Germany
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Hi, I have an event were my daughter is one of the organisers. So she asked me to do the photo part for reporting. For sure no charge for it, but I take it as a learning lession.

I will have both cameras and all stuff around with me. Plus a DJI Air S2, plus Hero 7 black plus Insa 360.
I like to go also for some kind of an image film for the event. Start of is before the stage get build, so I have the chance to get everything.

Any suggestions and nice ideas on what to do not miss will be well appreciated. For sure I will post some pics.

Michael

That's a lot of hardware to carry and operate. Be careful not to fall into the trap of "I brought all those toys along but was too tired to take pictures". Drone, analog film, time lapse shots are impressive... to a few maybe. People got used to them nowadays I think, they don't catch an eye as they would have 10-20 years ago. To report with good images on an event, the key rule is to try and immerse yourself with the event itself, become a part of it, interact with people, actually enjoy (!) the event, understand where the action is, what draws people, where you can capture biggest emotions. Only then start photographing, and try not to be too obtrusive.

If it is a metal festival in the sense that it is a music festival, then I would think that the artists/bands would be a logical focus. I would try to capture details if possible, the guitarist's fingers on the fretboard of the guitar, shots with pyrotechnics involved, facial expressions of the bands as well as the audience. Of course, I would find out in advance what I am allowed to photograph and what is not allowed.....you know that dreaded word we have here in Germany....Datenschutz. To keep it interesting to the viewer, I would say that the photographs have to be from a different location/perspective than available to the general audience. So, up close etc...or overhead using the drone as well. Just some ideas from someone who has shot events, but never a concert festival

But, in case your metal festival is not a music festival, but a festival of different types of metals....then it is different...haha. We have festivals for all sorts of things here in Germany so why not a metal festival where the star is steel?

My Plan:

I willl use the drone during the build and setup the event location and steady when the folks come in, can start it up and let it stay until the power goes down, Drone will return to start automatically. Change battery and start up again. So no much time spend on this.

GoPro and Insta 360 as steady Camera on fixxed spots.

Consentrate to R6 24-70 F2.8 and RP 35mm F2 during the event running around do the folks and actors.
Mobile Video will also be done with the R6

Then see what I get in Post.

BR,

Michael

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back