Modern Cameras

I also agree, and wonder what else camera manufacturers can add to their product that will make a difference for the non-professional. For me, my R5 offers more features than I think I will every use so "upgrading" makes little sense.
Yeah, but glass? Well...that's another matter. ;-)

I was in a "pro" camera store quite a while ago, and they had a Nikon that had 2.7MP. There were some decent size prints on display from the cam, and the salesman told me that the tech had pretty much "topped out." And that nobody needed more than 2.7MP.

Happy to say he was a little off.
An argument could probably be made that no one needs more than 8-10 megapixels since the majority of photographic consumption is on digital screens that could never reproduce an image pixel for pixel…

An argument could probably be made that no one needs more than 8-10 megapixels since the majority of photographic consumption is on digital screens that could never reproduce an image pixel for pixel…
My monitor and all TVs I have can show 5K images. Way more than 8-10MP. Just me, I guess.

My monitor and all TVs I have can show 5K images. Way more than 8-10MP. Just me, I guess.
The vast majority of monitors and screens top out at 4k resolution. I suppose you could push the maximum needed out to 16 megapixels, but I think 10 megapixels would cover 99% of all digital consumption. Say 12 megapixels to split the difference.

I think digital consumption as the majority of end user use is why we’re seeing Canon and Nikon focus their latest and greatest sensor technologies into 24 megapixels. Aside from the ability to crop in post and niche uses like fashion, is anything more really needed?

The vast majority of monitors and screens top out at 4k resolution. I suppose you could push the maximum needed out to 16 megapixels, but I think 10 megapixels would cover 99% of all digital consumption. Say 12 megapixels to split the difference.

I think digital consumption as the majority of end user use is why we’re seeing Canon and Nikon focus their latest and greatest sensor technologies into 24 megapixels. Aside from the ability to crop in post and niche uses like fashion, is anything more really needed?
It depends. I print, so having 45MP is really, really nice. If all you do is present your shots via the web, hell, 10MP is overkill.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back