New R3 Specs Revealed - Subject Recognition and Tracking for Cars and Motorcycles

Tim Mayo

Administrator
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Tim
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Canon has released some new details regarding the specs for their upcoming EOS R3.

Here's the press release:

Following up on the announcement of the development of Canon’s most powerful professional full-frame camera, the EOS R3, Canon has new details to share on the upcoming product.

The upcoming EOS R3 will offer enhanced AF performance and tracking capabilities using Deep Learning technology, with even better face, eye, head, and animal body detection. The EOS R3 will add vehicle subject recognition and tracking for cars and motorcycles, ideal for photographers capturing fast-action motorsports.

The EOS R3 will be able to autofocus in extreme low light conditions up to EV-7, along with up to eight stops of coordinated IS control when used with RF lenses that feature Optical Image Stabilization. Users of the upcoming EOS R3 will be able to shoot 4K video with Canon Log 3 support, oversampled 4K, and RAW movie internal recording.

For added flexibility and the necessary support for high-speed image transfer, the EOS R3 will have Wired LAN and 5GHz Wi-Fi capability built-in. The new accessory shoe will provide further options for data communication and power while also supporting new accessories. In addition, the use of Canon Speedlite products will still be possible when the EOS R3’s electronic shutter is active.

Additional Specifications Include:

• Dual-card slots: 1 CF Express, 1 SD.
  • LP-E19 battery
  • Magnesium-Alloy body
  • Vari-angle touch LCD monitor
  • Multi and smart controller equipped

These specs can be found on Canon's R3 showcase page and they are also discussed by Chris and Jordan over at DPReview and Gordon Laing.

Still no details on the number of megapixels though.

Last edited:
  • Admin
Anyone tempted?..
Maybe when I win the lottery :) If it's focussed on sports shooters then it's probably going to be a 30mp or less. I'd miss the 45mp of my R5 too much, especially for wildlife where I'm often cropping. I also prefer the smaller body of the R5.

In next 2 years I'm confident I'll buy mirrorless replacement for my 1DX.

I'd be really curious to know the price for R3, but I doubt it'll be enough spec-difference to R5 to justify buying. Most likely I'll wait for R1.

I'm not only tempted ... I'm IN !!
I WILL get one ..... and that's not a "blind" leap. From what I've seen of my new R6 and the specs on the R3 - the R3 may be the last camera I ever buy because it may do everything I've ever wanted a camera to do ....

Canon has made clear that the R3 is targeted at "sports and photojournalism." What I'm not sure of is who the R1 will be spec'd for. On one hand, the 1 series has historically been high speed, heavy duty, high iso performers targeted at sports shooters and the like. On the other hand it doesn't seem likely Canon would have both an R3 and and R1 targeted at the same market....or does it? I guess it's for Canon to know and us to find out in the future. Need a crystal ball...

Canon has made clear that the R3 is targeted at "sports and photojournalism." What I'm not sure of is who the R1 will be spec'd for. On one hand, the 1 series has historically been high speed, heavy duty, high iso performers targeted at sports shooters and the like. On the other hand it doesn't seem likely Canon would have both an R3 and and R1 targeted at the same market....or does it? I guess it's for Canon to know and us to find out in the future. Need a crystal ball...

Just guessing/speculating, if Canon dials down Mpix count (like 1D series usually), they could have larger pixels meaning better high-ISO performance. Also lower pixel count would help the buffer, and maybe enable higher fps bursts too.

I'm guessing usable high-ISO to some 50k-100k range, compared to similar quality today at 12k-25k on 1DX bodies so 1-2 stop improvement in there. That would be actually huge amount, maybe shouldn't expect more than 1 stop improvement as 1DX already are great cameras.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back