Nikon Z 180-600mm F5.6-6.3 VR - Is Canon Going to Offer Anything Similar?

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Tim Mayo

Administrator
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Tim
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
With Nikon announcing the Z 180-600mm F5.6-6.3 VR and Sony already offering their FE 200-600mm F/5.6-6.3 G OSS lens, who'd like to see Canon offering a similar lens?

Right now the closest RF zoom is the 100-500 and as lovely as that is it's almost double the price of Nikon and Sony's offerings. I also own the Sony 200-600 and the internal zoom design is a joy to use over an extending zoom lens.

I'm guessing if Canon did come out with something similar it would seriously cannibalize sales of the RF 100-500. Therefore I'm not going to hold my breath for something similar anytime soon but I would love to be wrong!

That is a very good point about a new lens in the 150-600mm range, and given Canon's slow RF lens roll-outs I'd expect that they would concentrate elsewhere in the tele-zoom market place before effectively killing-off a lens. Sad, though, since a 150-600 at a competitive price would be a great lens for wildlife and birding.

In the meantime you can get a Tamron or Sigma lens that's close, and both are very good quality. But the RF 100-500 is simply excellent, even with a TC in use. It's worth the price.

You can add Fuji to the list of companies with a 150-600.
The TC issue kept me from buying the RF 100-500. Spend that type of money for a lens, it shouldn't have issues.

You can add Fuji to the list of companies with a 150-600.
The TC issue kept me from buying the RF 100-500. Spend that type of money for a lens, it shouldn't have issues.
Well, yes, there is that physical limitation. But...the lens is so good it's not something that bothers me. And honestly, when I use the TC (1.4) the action or subject is so far away there's no need for shorter focal lengths. Anyway, it works for me.

This Nikon lens has a completely different design philosophy. It is black, it is big, it is heavy (2kg?), it is also very long and it's not that expensive. The other good things about this lens is its internal zoom mechanism and the slightly bigger aperture. Rumours suggest that this lens is actually an OEM made by Tamron, in case if Canon lifts the RF restriction for 3rd party brands, we might have a small change seeing this in RF mount.

With Nikon announcing the Z 180-600mm F5.6-6.3 VR and Sony already offering their FE 200-600mm F/5.6-6.3 G OSS lens, who'd like to see Canon offering a similar lens?

Right now the closest RF zoom is the 100-500 and as lovely as that is it's almost double the price of Nikon and Sony's offerings. I also own the Sony 200-600 and the internal zoom design is a joy to use over an extending zoom lens.

I'm guessing if Canon did come out with something similar it would seriously cannibalize sales of the RF 100-500. Therefore I'm not going to hold my breath for something similar anytime soon but I would love to be wrong!
I think I herd of a rumor about a possible 200-500, maybe?

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back