Photography Challenge - Macro / Close-up

Forget-me-nots. Tripod image at 1:1 with a crop too. The slightest breeze had these flying all over the frame.

2021-04-20-11-59-49-2688.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 500

May - Yellowbell - The Yellowbell is one of the first flowers in spring and is found on prairie grasslands. It is actually a lily and has an edible bulb that was eaten by Native Americans.
I am loving using my RF 100 to 500 telephoto for macro shots.

_L6A0244-Edit.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 343.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 500

May 8, 2021 - Spring Beauty if a beautiful little wildflower that blooms in the woodland in Alberta. It is one of the first blooms of spring. The plant is about 12 cm (5 in) tall and each bloom is 8 mm (1/3") across.

_L6A1379-Edit.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 1250
_L6A1423-Edit-Edit.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 3200

Last edited:
Wildflower - Smooth Blue Penstemon - I happy with how DPP got the colour just right on the flower. The colour was nice with Lightroom but the raw profile in DPP shows it the way it really was.

_L6A3425-2-Edit.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 160

For comparison with the previous single image, this time using the R5's focus stacking, still just with natural lighting.

Both images are 40 slices deep stacked with Photoshop. I did try with Canon DPP and found the results very close to those from Photoshop. DPP knows how many images are in the stack, so that's a bit simpler to set up, but it is a lot slower processing the images.

Much cleaner images with than with the previous single shot approach, as expected, though a lot more effort is involved. There is some smearing form the stacking process which I'll have to find out how to resolve. Lots more to learn.

View attachment 1630

One form the other side too - I don't think that front tyre is roadworthy anymore.

View attachment 1631
Love these! Did you ever find out what's causing the smearing? I'm encountering it, too, with Photoshop in stacking. I thought it might be from too few images, but it did it really bad with 120 yesterday. I don't know if it's during the alignment or the blending stage. I've been doing auto-align while importing, but I might try doing it after import and see if that makes a difference. I'm using an R6, but I know it's PS, because the images are fine.

Love these! Did you ever find out what's causing the smearing? I'm encountering it, too, with Photoshop in stacking. I thought it might be from too few images, but it did it really bad with 120 yesterday. I don't know if it's during the alignment or the blending stage. I've been doing auto-align while importing, but I might try doing it after import and see if that makes a difference. I'm using an R6, but I know it's PS, because the images are fine.
I've not had any time to dig further into this I'm afraid.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back