tpatana

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Tero Patana
So I'm planning a trip, 10 days Taiwan and then 2 weeks in Japan. I'll be there to cover indoor sports event and then lot of tourist-y things (and beer).

I have good selection of lenses, but especially with the long trip and plenty other luggage too, I'm thinking traveling light for the cameras. I'm thinking:
RF70-200/2.8 (for the sports)
RF24-240 (for generic walkaround both city and rural/nature)
RF35/1.8 (for street/night)

Probably bring grip, shooting long day without grip wouldn't be fun but could take it off for the tourist/street shooting.

Any other lens line-up I should consider?

if you want to go light I think you got all the bases covered.

So I'm planning a trip, 10 days Taiwan and then 2 weeks in Japan. I'll be there to cover indoor sports event and then lot of tourist-y things (and beer).

I have good selection of lenses, but especially with the long trip and plenty other luggage too, I'm thinking traveling light for the cameras. I'm thinking:
RF70-200/2.8 (for the sports)
RF24-240 (for generic walkaround both city and rural/nature)
RF35/1.8 (for street/night)

Probably bring grip, shooting long day without grip wouldn't be fun but could take it off for the tourist/street shooting.

Any other lens line-up I should consider?
Looks good. The only other thing I would consider (but would waver on) is bringing something a little wider. Something like the RF14-35mm F4 L, though that's an extra 540g. Oh, and Japan has lots of good craft beer places now in bigger cities...also went to a decent one in Taipei.

Looks good. The only other thing I would consider (but would waver on) is bringing something a little wider. Something like the RF14-35mm F4 L, though that's an extra 540g. Oh, and Japan has lots of good craft beer places now in bigger cities...also went to a decent one in Taipei.
I have 11-24 but it's super heavy :( Also Rokinon 14mm which would be light but not as good quality.

I could have space for one more lens so maybe I should consider the 11-24 too. One of the stop is Shirahama so should be nice scenery.

I have 11-24 but it's super heavy :( Also Rokinon 14mm which would be light but not as good quality.

I could have space for one more lens so maybe I should consider the 11-24 too. One of the stop is Shirahama so should be nice scenery.
I was just watching this review and now I'm thinking of getting it. Seems like this would be an ideal wide, travel lens. Never been to Shirahama...supposed to be nice, though packed during the swimming season.

Reading through this the first thing I thought was you’re likely to want something wider than 24mm. My goto ultrawide is the 14-35 f/4, but when space/weight is a factor, I grab the almost invisible 16mm. If you’ve watched the DPReview video, you know about the corner softness at 16mm but for what you get for such a compact and affordable lens, it’s tough to not bring it.

Well.... yesterday she saw it "Hey there was a lens at the front door."

Was thinking of this:

b13.png

Like quite often with new lens, you spend lot of time trying it out. Outside the sports event, I think probably 75% of the shots were with the 16mm, some 20% with the 35mm and rest few either 24-240mm or 70-200mm.

From my perspective, unless you absolutely need F2.8, the RF 70-200 F2.8L seems a little redundant, given that you are taking the 24-240. You don’t say what camera you are using, but it seems to me you already have the long end covered at 240mm and that what’s uncovered is the wide end. I have a similar dilemma for an upcoming European trip, except that i am not planning any sports activity. My decision is to take my R5, RF 24-240 and my RF 14-35L. I have debated taking my adapted EF 70-300 F4.5-5.6 L IS, but I really wonder (a) how often I will use it, and (b) is the extra weight worth it of 1/2 a stop and an extra 60mm in focal length? Right now I am leaning to just sticking with the 2 lens combo and traveling light. I will bring my Sony RX-100 VII for when i really don’t want to lug a large full size camera. I will not bring the battery grip for the R5.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back