R3 or R8 ? What body if you could get then at a huge saving ?

I have the non-L 24-105 and beside the small aperture, which I think it a bit too small, it takes fantastic photos. It’s super light and makes a great walking around lens. I don’t use it for paid work, but it’s very sharp. If your goal is to save size and weight that combination is hard to beat.

R3 is not heavy coming from a 1D X :) I love the size, battery life, vertical grip. Hate that it has an SD card. Foolish!!

I've been thinking of R8 for backup, but as mentioned IBIS and battery keep me away. So likely R6 or R6 II when I decide I have to have a backup.

Now lenses for your R8. If it were me, RF 24-105 L. ALWAYS my go to walkaround / everything lens. I personally do not see much difference between that and the RF 24-70 F 2.8 and enjoy the extra reach andI have seen VERY clean used copies for the low $800's, sometimes less if you bide your time.

Last edited:
I’ve thought about selling or trading my 24-105 STM for the L version. Frankly, I think I’d welcome a slightly less expensive 24-70 f/4 to pair with the 70-200 f/4. Don’t have an unlimited budget.

I’ve thought about selling or trading my 24-105 STM for the L version. Frankly, I think I’d welcome a slightly less expensive 24-70 f/4 to pair with the 70-200 f/4. Don’t have an unlimited budget.
It is a shame they don't do a 24-70 f4.
I now have both the 24-105's and the 24-70 f2.8 ... plus had the 28-70 f2 which I really miss.

The IQ of the STM 24-105 is just like the f4 L version but you miss out on the shallower f4 aperture. I love shallow Dof so had to really get the f4 lens. I got the STM one for £199 so couldn't turn that down !! It is great but doesn't give me the separation I love.

I have any R8, R6II and a R3 and given a choice I would pick up a R6II if possible. The R6II has a lot going for it over my R3, so much so I'm contemplating moving my R3 on.

The R8 is a cracking little camera if you can get over the 1 card slot, poorish battery performance, no IBS and no official grip. I worked around these foibles by buying lots of 3rd party batteries and grip that works using the remote plug, I also purchased a few more SD cards that I swap out regularly during a shoot, the lack IBS doesn't worry me as I often thought it caused problems with images.

Whatever body you get I'm sure they be a good back up to your R5.

I have any R8, R6II and a R3 and given a choice I would pick up a R6II if possible. The R6II has a lot going for it over my R3, so much so I'm contemplating moving my R3 on.

The R8 is a cracking little camera if you can get over the 1 card slot, poorish battery performance, no IBS and no official grip. I worked around these foibles by buying lots of 3rd party batteries and grip that works using the remote plug, I also purchased a few more SD cards that I swap out regularly during a shoot, the lack IBS doesn't worry me as I often thought it caused problems with images.

Whatever body you get I'm sure they be a good back up to your R5.
I got the R8 in the end ... I was tempted by the R3 as I used to have and use 1D II and 1Ds II when I did weddings with my wife years back ... but we moved to 5D II and III due to the weight. I only shoot for pleasure now so a lighter option to the R5 seemed logical though the battery life of the R8 is pretty poor !

I got the R8 in the end ... I was tempted by the R3 as I used to have and use 1D II and 1Ds II when I did weddings with my wife years back ... but we moved to 5D II and III due to the weight. I only shoot for pleasure now so a lighter option to the R5 seemed logical though the battery life of the R8 is pretty poor !
Cheers for the update, I think I was a bit late on the thread 🫣 I can highly recommend a third party grip and batteries on Amazon if you need more battery life.

Cheers for the update, I think I was a bit late on the thread 🫣 I can highly recommend a third party grip and batteries on Amazon if you need more battery life.
I got one genuine Canon battery as an extra ... I only shoot stills so it is not as bad as if I took video. I took 103 shots yesterday and it was still on full. I might go for the extra little RP grip as opposed to a full one. If the price offer comes up on the R3 again I might get one. It will depend on finances and what is about as I am more likely to spend money on glass atm.

I feel like the battery decision by Canon on the R8 was a miss. For the price of that camera an EPL6NH battery should be used.

I would have gone R8 as well given your usage. I don't think you would need two top end full frame cameras and would always have been torn as to which one to use.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back