R3 or R8 ? What body if you could get then at a huge saving ?

SO8

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
John H
I have an R5

I have the chance to get a mint body at a huge saving ... but only one ..R3 or R8.

No options, one or the other.

Now, greed says R3 but common sense says R8. I would use the R8 with a 24-240. The R3 I would use with 24-70, 70-200 and 100-500 ... but I am a casual photographer these days. No sports or journo ... just street, location and fun.

Views ?

I guess I could sell either and not make a loss after say a year, such is the saving .... now I have tried the R3 in my hands and it is awesome but big. Great AF.

The R8 I have held in a sealed bag as the dealer only had a brand new one and not one to demo, Compared to my R5 to be fair the body felt tiny and actually great as a result as FF ... and the idea of 24-240 on it seemed good ...

But what do I do. I can afford the R3 at stretch but the R8 is more likely to get use ... or will it just make my R5 redundant ? R3 is so capable and stacked sensor ... but not the mp of the R5 and I love to crop ... Comments welcome .... as I could also get an RF 28-70 f2 at great discount but not if I got the R3. (I've had a 28-70 and loved it but traded it as not used too much)

What to do to best expand my kit ... or do nothing as I actually have what I need ?

sounds like your well connected when it comes to pricing

I've got small hands (and I'm old and don't feel like carrying that much weight) so it's definitely the R8 for me. It's never bad to have a back up camera, even if it's the backup to the backup. You've got some great connections.

My biggest hold up with the R8 was lack of IBIS and the smaller battery. Too bad you don't have the R6M2 as an option. I've found it to be absolutely stellar. The R8 uses the same sensor.

I'd go R8 for the size/form factor.

I’d probably see if I could get hooked up with the 85mm 1.2 DS…. 85mm is my happy place.

Only know a couple of r3 users one loves the eye control focus or whatever its called the other cant get on with but both love the camera

sounds like your well connected when it comes to pricing
In a limited one off opportunity take it or leave it now way !
My biggest hold up with the R8 was lack of IBIS and the smaller battery. Too bad you don't have the R6M2 as an option. I've found it to be absolutely stellar. The R8 uses the same sensor.

I'd go R8 for the size/form factor.
It is an option if I want ... just not one I looked at yet.

In a limited one off opportunity take it or leave it now way !

It is an option if I want ... just not one I looked at yet.
If the R6M2 is an option, I think it's probably a much better choice than an R8, given the cost savings you're going to get. In my opinion the R6M2 is sort of like the Swiss Army knives of mirrorless cameras right now. It does everything really well and there isn't much of anything it can't do at least 'good'.

Decided on an R8 ...but can't decide on a lens. I tried it with my RF24-70 and that is too big. It is really nice with the RF 24-105 STM but I am used to L glass so wonder if the 24-105 L is still too big ... or go for the 24-240.

Torn over the lens choice now. Aargh.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back