SO8

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
John H
So I have stopped taking my R5 out with it's RF24-70 f2.8 due to the weight ... and tried the R8 ... and now an R8 is joining the R5 with a few extra lenses for street and casual stuff when I don't need the resolution of the R5 or it's IBIS ! I don't take video so that is not an issue.

I will do some comparison bits when I can but I was amazed just how small the R8 is but stuck on what lens to pair it with.

I have ended up with the following on order:

RF 35 f1.8
RF 24-105 f4 (I have owned and sold this before so it is a known quantity and the max size I think suitable for the R8)
RF 24-105 STM (Secondhand mint so a friends daughter can use the camera - L lens she says far too heavy to carry!)

Last edited:
Ok, so got it ... first impressions ... love it ... the form factor, so much lighter and smaller. I don't notice the EVF difference to the R5 tbh but it is there. It seems brilliant. What do I notice ... the lack of IBIS ! I am surprised as the lens still has IS but compared to the R5 I can see the difference. IQ ... not so tbh but I am not looking at huge crops.

Am I happy, yes. Smaller lenses, smaller in my hand and less weight. Exactly what I want. IBIS is likely to be my concern but I still have my R5.

The 24-105 STM lens seems great. Far better than I expected and so light. 24-105L awaited as still on order. I know that lens but or quick lightweight use the non L seems (apart from aperture) to be very, very good.

I am using it with a Joby wrist strap as opposed to a full strap. It doesn't warrant a full strap as the weight is so much less.

Would I recommend it ... oh yes ! But ... if you can afford an R6 with IBIS or R7 (crop APS_C obv) ... or even R5 / R3 ... then IBIS is very much worth it !

Last edited:
I have an R8 as well, have had mine since April, and also use the 24-105 STM as my general walk-around lens, and I absolutely love mine. I came from a Nikon D7000 SLR that I'd been using for like 9 years, and also am in love with the comparatively light and small form factor. The lens and body combined weigh only a bit more than my D7000 body on its own. I've never used a body with IBIS, the main thing I've had to really adjust to is the battery life being so much shorter. But the battery is tiny, so the spare I bought isn't even noticeable when packed in my bag.

Try the R8 with the RF16/28/50 primes, it's a very light and handy combination to bring on walks or longer trips. I rarely need a focal length between 50-100mm, if I need anything beyond that, I bring the R5+100-500L.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back