R5 and Astro

Kevin.sim

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Kevin
Wondering if anyone in the forum has done Astro shots with the R5 (night sky, stars/aurora). Just wondering if you're finding same results with lenses as you may have gotten with your DSLR? I'm still doing some testing with a Rokinon 24/1.4 but looking like it performs better on my 6Dii than my R5. Looking to see if this is common or to be expected.

Hi David. It's a full manual lens with no electronic contacts so don't think it's an option. I'm still new to astro and learning that maybe a shorter shutter may be better to limit stars dragging over so many pixels. First I thought it was the lens but it performs nicely on my DSLR so I thought maybe there is a 'trick' with mirrorless.
A couple things to try. Higher resolution cameras tend to out resolve lenses of a less quality. Not saying that lens is lesser I use one as well. It looks great 30mp and below. Details don’t pop with a higher res body. If you have photo pills go to the spot star calculator and use the NPG rule rather than the 500 rule. Last thing that NPF rule will drastically shorten your exposure time so pump that ISO up accordingly. Brighter higher ISO will be cleaner than darker lower ISO with a lifted exposure. Good luck.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back