Canon R5 R5 Cold Weather Difficulties

Iryna

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Iryna
Hi everyone! Can you please advise how can I solve my problem with R5?

I was shooting outdoors recently, it was pretty cold. I can't say for sure how bad it was. I spent around 15 minutes outdoors shooting b-rolls and then got into the house and continued shooting indoors. I didn't notice that the lens got fogged right away so I shot for around 2 minutes shot and let the camera adjust the temperature inside. But when I checked the footage on my laptop later on, I figured that the files are corrupted. The file size seems to be okay, but the footage got artifacts, like stripes and glitching for 1 frame duration literally every 30-40 seconds and it's through all the footage that I got after that first shot with the fogged lens...

I am at the place now, where I can't travel to any service center, in the middle of nowhere and I am in need to shoot more footage in a few next days...

Please, help me to understand what is this and if it's possible to avoid this issue somehow.

I also tried to transcode these corrupted files, but encoders return me "error retrieving frame".
sad.gif

I am in despair, as this camera is brand new, I just recently bought it before this trip and my project is in danger because of this issue
sad.gif

I was shooting outdoors recently, it was pretty cold. I can't say for sure how bad it was. I spent around 15 minutes outdoors shooting b-rolls and then got into the house and continued shooting indoors. I didn't notice that the lens got fogged right away so I shot for around 2 minutes shot and let the camera adjust the temperature inside. But when I checked the footage on my laptop later on, I figured that the files are corrupted. The file size seems to be okay, but the footage got artifacts, like stripes and glitching for 1 frame duration literally every 30-40 seconds and it's through all the footage that I got after that first shot with the fogged lens...

I am at the place now, where I can't travel to any service center, in the middle of nowhere and I am in need to shoot more footage in a few next days...

Please, help me to understand what is this and if it's possible to avoid this issue somehow.

I also tried to transcode these corrupted files, but encoders return me "error retrieving frame".
sad.gif

I am in despair, as this camera is brand new, I just recently bought it before this trip and my project is in danger because of this issue
sad.gif
I have experienced nothing like this. I mainly shot stills, though.

I was just in southwest Colorado shooting stills for 2+ hours in less than 20°(f) at night. With the wind, it was probably a feel like of low single digits. The R5 never missed a beat and never had an issue. Most surprising, the battery held up the entire shoot, over 400 frames. I use Delkin Black CF cards. Not being a video shooter, I’m not sure if this is relevant to your situation but wanted to share my experience.

I've used my R5 in very cold weather and had no issues. But when I transition inside I wrap it up in a large towel or blanket and keep it that way for a couple hours allowing the temperature to normalize slowly. If you're a one body shooter it's not ideal, but it's how you keep your gear from breaking down or failing at the worst of times.

Rapid transitions from very cold to warm are not what you want to happen to your gear. If you need to shoot both in rapid succession then you need one set of gear for outside and one inside. Your lens fogged up. That's condensation and it's not just happening on the lens, it's likely happening in the lens and in the camera. Water and electronics don't play well and that's likely what's to blame for your issues, however momentary. If you're stuck with one lens and one camera then you may see if you can do the transitions the other way - shoot inside first and then outdoors.

One hint when doing that is to shoot without the lens hood outdoors. If the temperature difference is significant you can actually experience heat diffraction inside the hood because of the warm front of the lens and the cold air outside of it. This clears up in about 3-5 minutes, but if you head straight out to shoot then remove the hood.

What memory card are you using: make, series speed, where did you buy it? once the card can be eliminated from the problem then you can investigate other areas that may be responsible.

How long, if at all, was the body without a lens attached while you were outside?

The lens fogging I can understand, that should clear once the camera gets to indoor temperature. The camera is very sensitive collection of electrical components. It is possible moisture creating the lens fogging has also condensed somewhere on the circuitry inside the camera. If the condensation accumulates it will pool, most likely at the bottom of the camera body, who knows. It may not be condensation, could be a thermal contraction and a dry joint.

The R5 has weather sealing. I dont know how effective it is or how well it performs. Did you buy your R5 from an authorised Canon retailer? Wherever you got it inform the supplier ASAP and get their advice for a possible exchange. It is possible you are just unlucky and have a faulty camera that needed a cold shock to show up.

To give you an idea how complex the inside of the camera is have a look at the pictures in this link.
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/20...text=If you're here to,heat out of the camera.

Ps. what is, shooting b-rolls?

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back