tpatana

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Tero Patana
Most of the time I shoot 1st curtain but recently quite often towards the final matches, I switch to electronic to get more fps. In my sports it doesn't really do too much rolling shutter as we don't have round things like most other sports. However, for someone who does the sport (and especially has taken ton of pictures), here and there I can spot bend in the sword which shouldn't be there. For example the sword on left:

HX9A0797.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF70-200mm F2.8 L IS USM
  • 124.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 3200

And we get lot of natural bend too, especially on contact:

HX9A0619.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF70-200mm F2.8 L IS USM
  • 92.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 3200

But I think the rolling shutter is non-issue for my sports, most people wouldn't notice anything wrong with that picture.

This is a tough one. Photographers will notice this while the general public will likely not. Also how would anyone know if you did this on purpose to show movement? You are the artist presenting your work.

Rolling shutter can be an issue. Your shutter speeds seem a bit too slow for that type of action. Motion blur in the swords. File 2. If you hit something that hard with a flexible sword it is going to bend. The tip of the sword in the 1st file is showing blur but hard to tell if the slight bend is due to rolling shutter or is due to the slow shutter speed. I don't know how flexible the swords are. However you are saying that you only noticed this using ES and not 1st curtain sync?

This is a tough one. Photographers will notice this while the general public will likely not. Also how would anyone know if you did this on purpose to show movement? You are the artist presenting your work.

Rolling shutter can be an issue. Your shutter speeds seem a bit too slow for that type of action. Motion blur in the swords. File 2. If you hit something that hard with a flexible sword it is going to bend. The tip of the sword in the 1st file is showing blur but hard to tell if the slight bend is due to rolling shutter or is due to the slow shutter speed. I don't know how flexible the swords are. However you are saying that you only noticed this using ES and not 1st curtain sync?
I was thinking the same. That seems like a normal amount of bend for a flexible kendo shinai.

Thanks for providing the name of it.
Well I wasn't going to say anything but I'm fascinated by Samurai culture. Obviously I don't know a lot. I think they have the most unique uniforms on the planet. When we were in Tokyo about 4 years ago we found the Samurai museum. I didn't know Lucas based Darth Vader on a Samurai. That was what they told us anyway. Now when I watch the movies I see they fight with two hands on the light sabre.

For one, I generally like the ~1/500 on shutter to give bit movement for the swords, makes pictures feel more alive than static posing. I often get some bend or movement.

The bend on 1st pic is wrong, I just know/feel that it doesn't bend like that on 1st curtain but I see it occasionally on the pics taken with ES. In general they can bend bit when swinging and especially on contact. But that one is bending wrong so it's caused by ES.

For one, I generally like the ~1/500 on shutter to give bit movement for the swords, makes pictures feel more alive than static posing. I often get some bend or movement.

The bend on 1st pic is wrong, I just know/feel that it doesn't bend like that on 1st curtain but I see it occasionally on the pics taken with ES. In general they can bend bit when swinging and especially on contact. But that one is bending wrong so it's caused by ES.
That would make sense.

George Lucas admitted being influenced by Akita Kurosawa many times. The original Star Wars was inspired by Hidden Fortress.

Seeing how they are so flexible I was wondering what is a kendo shinai is made of?

Last edited:

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back