Burst Mode FPS - Mirrorless System

Canon R5, (and other models) It is "too good" that I get so many similar shots with very little differences between two sequential shots. Then I have to spend time trying to figure out which one is worth saving and editing.

As Mr. Miyagi told the Karate Kid, "You need discipline!"

And by that I don't mean with the shutter button, because you can never revel in the shot you didn't take. But you also don't want to have to live in a hoarder's house maneuvering around all the stuff you're saving just in case.

Similar to advice above, I use Photo Mechanic to pour through the the initial set of raw files and mark the probables. Everything else gets tossed. I look at things differently depending if I'm just shooting or if I'm shooting for something in particular. If I'm shooting for something in particular I ask myself, "How many shots do I need?", and after the first cut I go through again and whittle it down to about 3-4x what I need, keeping only the best. If I don't know what I need then I'm a little less selective. I use the rating system putting 1 star on keepers and 2 stars on anything that immediately pops. Then I suck those into Lightroom, wipe out the rating, and do it again. If I have similar shots I rate and flag, then A/B them. Once again 1 star for a keeper, 2 stars for a definite. I then process the 2 stars. If I have enough for the shoot, I'm done. I may then go back through the 1's and unstar and delete those that are redundant (close to something I've got), but the rest I'll hold onto just in case.

I've come back from a shoot with thousands of images that quickly get reduced to a couple hundred so I can wind up with 15-40 depending. It can be tedious to go through 100+ images of a moment, but when one captures the precise split-second image you want it's worth the cost of the film. :)

In LrC, I use the x and p and the right arrow on the keyboard to quickly scan every photo then delete the rejected ones.
It's nice to be retired and have the time to leisurely review all the photos and only mark the OOF ones for removal in LrC. LOL.
And yeah I keep everything that's not OOF forever. Took me 3 months to review and process the photos I brought back from my last Safari.
I's a hobby. Enjoy it. YMMV.

I do the same thing. Last night I went through 650 shots from my granddaughter's soccer game. After culling I had 180. Then I do a second review and crop and make exposure adjustments, etc. Goes quite fast. Now if I am doing something like images from a trip somewhere I take a bit more time.

I am sticking with LR, because I am so use to the process. I still use the DPP if I have pre-shoot burst mode enable or other type of files that require Canon DPP.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back