Following
Name
Peter Blacket
City/State
Australia
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Just doing some reading came across this cut ad paste

Let me just make a quick but VERY IMPORTANT point here about using Manual Mode: Unless you're under fixed, studio lighting, using complex flash setups or in a few other fairly niche situations, believe it or not, Manual mode is an incredibly archaic, slow and cumbersome mode to operate in. Modern cameras all have automatic light meters for a reason - so that you don't have to keep fumbling and scrolling through settings just because the lighting has changed since your last shot! There is a tragic misnomer in some photography circles that 'Real photographers use Manual Mode' or that if you're not in Manual Mode, you're in some way not getting the full creative control out of your camera. Believe me, nothing could be further from the truth - and it is a mistake to think that way, and you are doing yourself and your photography a disservice by believing it. Most people who say or who (infuriatingly) teach that Manual Mode is the 'proper' way to go, simply don't understand how modes like Aperture Mode actually work (i.e. it's not taking any creative control away from you, it's simply speeding up the process by finding the other half of a balancing equation for you, to instantly give you whatever exposure level you've asked for - you're still in complete control of the outcome.). Yes there are times when Manual mode is necessary - and I use it when I need to - but I (and the majority of Geographic magazine photographers, for example) actually take most of my photos in Aperture mode, somewhat less in Shutter Speed mode, and only a fraction using in Manual mode. Usually, manual mode just slows you down.

PF…

Thanks for starting this thread. I think it is likely to be both interesting and informative.

My contributions will be made as part of my learning journey. I don't wish to instruct — like the experts alluded to by PF— but to expand my knowledge through hearing from others, flicking through the user manual and fiddling with my R5's controls.

Here are the Shooting Modes offered on the R5:
  • A+: Auto Everything
  • Fv: Flexible Priority Auto Exposure
  • P : Program Auto Exposure
  • Tv: Shutter Priority Auto Exposure
  • Av: Aperture Priority Auto Exposure
  • M : Manual Exposure
  • Bulb : Bulb
My defaults are personal variants of M Mode which I have set up as follows and — this is important — saved as Custom Shooting Modes (C1, C2, C3) so that I can get back to my takes on M Mode in a hurry:
  • Shutter : manual
  • Aperture : manual
  • ISO : auto
  • Exposure Compensation : manual
… David

I normally use M Mode but of late have started to use Fv. I’ve yet to decide which I prefer for general use. I do use Av for Tv for special subjects.

Not sure who wrote that but it's a pretty big assumption about people who use M mode don't understand how Av, etc work. I think it is the other way around. Doesn't slow me down. Not with Auto ISO. I used Av for many years with my DSLR's. I used flash with both Av and M modes depending if I was indoors or outdoors.

I switched to Fv when I got my R. I really like it at first but after about a year in the heat of the moment I found sometimes I'd forget which setting it was on. You have to move the curser (for better words) to what you wanted to change before making the actual change. In M mode I find it a very natural fit have the dials for SS, Aperture and EC set and ready to go when needed. When Canon added Auto ISO to M mode that changed everything.

Also you can only do this in M mode. Reverse the main and back dials to select which ones you want for SS or Aperture.

To me it is shoot in whatever mode works best for you.

im hear to learn creating debate and information flow.

I use TV for birds in flight at times.

Still learning. Beginner hoobysit

But lightning photography only lends itself to M

You started a debate and I replied to it. :) The author you quoted had an opinion and so do I. Not meant as anything else, just a part of learning. There is nothing wrong with Av. I used it for years. It will be hard to convince me that people who use M mode don't understand the other modes.

im here to learn from one and all at times i read to much.

As a Wildlife Shooter, I am in Tv 90% of the time. Freezing the action is paramount for me. The camera will then pick the ISO and Aperture (pretty much wide open as the RF 100-500 is a slow lens.) I do have C3 set up for Av with bracketed shots for landscapes.

Just doing some reading came across this cut ad paste

Let me just make a quick but VERY IMPORTANT point here about using Manual Mode: Unless you're under fixed, studio lighting, using complex flash setups or in a few other fairly niche situations, believe it or not, Manual mode is an incredibly archaic, slow and cumbersome mode to operate in. Modern cameras all have automatic light meters for a reason - so that you don't have to keep fumbling and scrolling through settings just because the lighting has changed since your last shot! There is a tragic misnomer in some photography circles that 'Real photographers use Manual Mode' or that if you're not in Manual Mode, you're in some way not getting the full creative control out of your camera. Believe me, nothing could be further from the truth - and it is a mistake to think that way, and you are doing yourself and your photography a disservice by believing it. Most people who say or who (infuriatingly) teach that Manual Mode is the 'proper' way to go, simply don't understand how modes like Aperture Mode actually work (i.e. it's not taking any creative control away from you, it's simply speeding up the process by finding the other half of a balancing equation for you, to instantly give you whatever exposure level you've asked for - you're still in complete control of the outcome.). Yes there are times when Manual mode is necessary - and I use it when I need to - but I (and the majority of Geographic magazine photographers, for example) actually take most of my photos in Aperture mode, somewhat less in Shutter Speed mode, and only a fraction using in Manual mode. Usually, manual mode just slows you down.
I used to have the same view as you - Av most of the time, Tv for airshows and wildlife and manual rarely. Nowadays I'm in M almost all the time with Auto-ISO. Gives me complete control of shutter speed and aperture and automatic metering. Honestly, with moderrn sensors and AI denoise programs, I don't how high the ISO goes. Of course, you have to have some idea about what you're doing - no good having 1/60 and f/1.8 in direct sunlight and expecting auto-ISO to cope.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back