Followers
Following
Name
Steve Hamlin
City/State
Huntington MA
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I have a nearly new R7 that I'm using with mostly older EF L-series lenses. I've been out with it twice photographing birds and haven't gotten a single usable image - a far cry from the tack-sharp images I expected after reading reviews and watching Youtube videos. The eye detect locks onto my subject and tracks it, giving the appearance that the focus is working exactly as it should, but on download, every image is soft. I ran rhe best of them through DxO PureRaw 3 and it was still very soft, so I ran that image through Topaz Sharp AI. It was still way too soft to be usable.

I have the current firmware and I have a bit of experience with Canon cameras and bird photography in the field - I've been using Canon gear to shoot wildlife since 2004. I called Canon service and spoke at length with a rep there who recommended I send it to the service center. Since I bought the camera used, I expected it would cost me at least a couple hundred dollars for the service. When I filled out the online form, I was pleasantly surprised that the estimate was $0. A couple of nights ago, I was reading reviews of the camera on the B&H website. Among them, I stumbled on a review from a buyer who described precisely the same problem. He sent his to the service center where it was repaired for free too. It fixed the problem for him. I just shipped my camera out yesterday. His experience gives me hope that my camera will return without a surprise bill and capable of delivering the sharp photos I expected.

From my conversation with Canon support, combined with the $0 estimate and the review on B&H, I get the impression my experience isn't unique. I don't think it's a widespread problem, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's more common than the few isolated cases I've been able to find evidence of, since Canon seems to be aware of it and to have a remedy worked out. According to the B&H review, the repair invoice was vague, stating "Your product has been examined and Electrical adjustments were performed." Whatever they did, it fixed the problem for him. I hope to have the same result.

I have just received my R7 from Canon Factory Service. I sent it for the same reason, no consistently sharp images. It came back with a report that the body was fine and they fine-tuned the lens. The photos are not as sharp as I have been accustomed to since 1971. Even my scanned film photographs are better in terms of consistency of sharpness. I miss my 5DM4! Yes, it was heavy and bulky but the photos were far sharper than these. Oh, well ... Live and learn that all good things will come to an end.

I have updated the post at the following link that summarizes the back-and-forth with Canon:

I have a nearly new R7 that I'm using with mostly older EF L-series lenses. I've been out with it twice photographing birds and haven't gotten a single usable image - a far cry from the tack-sharp images I expected after reading reviews and watching Youtube videos. The eye detect locks onto my subject and tracks it, giving the appearance that the focus is working exactly as it should, but on download, every image is soft. I ran rhe best of them through DxO PureRaw 3 and it was still very soft, so I ran that image through Topaz Sharp AI. It was still way too soft to be usable.

I have the current firmware and I have a bit of experience with Canon cameras and bird photography in the field - I've been using Canon gear to shoot wildlife since 2004. I called Canon service and spoke at length with a rep there who recommended I send it to the service center. Since I bought the camera used, I expected it would cost me at least a couple hundred dollars for the service. When I filled out the online form, I was pleasantly surprised that the estimate was $0. A couple of nights ago, I was reading reviews of the camera on the B&H website. Among them, I stumbled on a review from a buyer who described precisely the same problem. He sent his to the service center where it was repaired for free too. It fixed the problem for him. I just shipped my camera out yesterday. His experience gives me hope that my camera will return without a surprise bill and capable of delivering the sharp photos I expected.

From my conversation with Canon support, combined with the $0 estimate and the review on B&H, I get the impression my experience isn't unique. I don't think it's a widespread problem, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's more common than the few isolated cases I've been able to find evidence of, since Canon seems to be aware of it and to have a remedy worked out. According to the B&H review, the repair invoice was vague, stating "Your product has been examined and Electrical adjustments were performed." Whatever they did, it fixed the problem for him. I hope to have the same result.
Its more common than you think. I have been through this process too with my R7. The focussing is still random even after the service. They dont have a remedy worked out for me. I am currently working through a host of issues with a macro lens as I gave up using my long lenses as the camera just wouldnt do what it should. My 7Dmk2 never lets me down so I am not concerned about missing a shot. I am more disappointed with Canon for not producing a mirrorless equivalent of the 7Dmk2 , which is what I had hoped the R7 would be. Its too fussy with too many gimmicky functions that detract from ease of use. When the R7 behaves itself it will take superb sharp images. Using a standard 50mm prime lens, with most of the annoying functions disabled , gives me great images on the whole, but if I try to use servo and H or H+ continuous shooting, only one in 8 on average is sharp, even when using a tripod or hide mount or bean bag as a steady assist. As for long lenses, forget it!
My wish is that Canon will address the poor behaviour of the R7 and if it can be corrected with a firmware update, so much the better, but, being cynical, I think it will be a MK2 version, at a higher price that will solve most of the issues. I do wonder what the beta testers were doing when they were given these cameras to test out. They raved about many of the features but completely missed the practical issues. What was the point of super fast focussing capability when the camera cannot perform? What is the point of great resolution images when most of them arent sharp? So frustrating!

Its more common than you think. I have been through this process too with my R7. The focussing is still random even after the service. They dont have a remedy worked out for me. I am currently working through a host of issues with a macro lens as I gave up using my long lenses as the camera just wouldnt do what it should. My 7Dmk2 never lets me down so I am not concerned about missing a shot. I am more disappointed with Canon for not producing a mirrorless equivalent of the 7Dmk2 , which is what I had hoped the R7 would be. Its too fussy with too many gimmicky functions that detract from ease of use. When the R7 behaves itself it will take superb sharp images. Using a standard 50mm prime lens, with most of the annoying functions disabled , gives me great images on the whole, but if I try to use servo and H or H+ continuous shooting, only one in 8 on average is sharp, even when using a tripod or hide mount or bean bag as a steady assist. As for long lenses, forget it!
My wish is that Canon will address the poor behaviour of the R7 and if it can be corrected with a firmware update, so much the better, but, being cynical, I think it will be a MK2 version, at a higher price that will solve most of the issues. I do wonder what the beta testers were doing when they were given these cameras to test out. They raved about many of the features but completely missed the practical issues. What was the point of super fast focussing capability when the camera cannot perform? What is the point of great resolution images when most of them arent sharp? So frustrating!
Hi Barry,

I had to send my R7 back to Canon Service a second time (having nothing to do with sharpness this time). They replaced the circuit board to resolve issues with burst rate, inconsistent file saving to SD cards, and occasional runaway shutter. I'm pretty happy with it now. On the focusing issues, Duade Patton just put out a video addressing it: https://youtu.be/hsmY4f1J0t8?si=AeIslIaTWVzLV-cu

I had the 7D MkII and the M6 MkII (as well as a string of other bodies going back to the 10D). While I still get inconsistent sharpness, I'm satisfied with the number of sharp images I'm getting, although I rely on DxO PureRaw and Topaz a lot. For my purposes, and now that the prior issues have been resolved, I now think the R7 is the best camera I've owned. There is still a lot of room for improvement, but I liked it enough to buy a second body, this time a refurb from Canon.

Steve

Hi Steve. I tried a different lens this afternoon. It seems that it maybe isn't a good idea to use a macro lens with a crop sensor camera. ( only kidding) I did wonder if that made any difference but it doesn't. I have seen Duades video and it did make a positive difference (sort of) but there is still a lot of inconsistency with my camera, no matter what the lens or settings. I do allow for user error in case anyone is wondering. I just find the R7 frustrating as I have never encountered these problems with my 7Dmk2. 5Dmk3/4 and 1DX 3. Ah well. Keep trying as they say!

OK here goes. Finally........ got my R7 back from a second service. This time I got no response to the question why it was not working properly and a brief comment that they couldnt find a fault with the camera, having tested it thoroughly. HA! Took it out today. First thing it did was refuse to focus so that the first 20 images were a blur. Turned it off then restarted it. Changed no settings from my usual settings for wildlife shooting and .... hey presto... 64 concurrent sharp images at all focal lengths for the lens I wa using(100-400mm L series IS II with 1.4x extender 3). Unbelievable. Canon said they had done nothing to the camera as it was working properly. I DONT BELIEVE THEM!!! It works now but it didnt work before. Is this a new policy by Canon, fix the damn thing whilst denying its at fault in the fist place????
Anyway I am just glad I now have an R7 that will take good images with my lenses (all EF).

Still dont trust the damn thing though........................

OK here goes. Finally........ got my R7 back from a second service. This time I got no response to the question why it was not working properly and a brief comment that they couldnt find a fault with the camera, having tested it thoroughly. HA! Took it out today. First thing it did was refuse to focus so that the first 20 images were a blur. Turned it off then restarted it. Changed no settings from my usual settings for wildlife shooting and .... hey presto... 64 concurrent sharp images at all focal lengths for the lens I wa using(100-400mm L series IS II with 1.4x extender 3). Unbelievable. Canon said they had done nothing to the camera as it was working properly. I DONT BELIEVE THEM!!! It works now but it didnt work before. Is this a new policy by Canon, fix the damn thing whilst denying its at fault in the fist place????
Anyway I am just glad I now have an R7 that will take good images with my lenses (all EF).

Still dont trust the damn thing though........................
AF with the 1.4 extender is worse than if you just use the EF100-400.

So I am not supposed to use my full kit like I can with the 7Dmk2? I have stated previously that my R7 was intended to be a step forward from the 7Dmk2 , to be used for the same purposes. It doesnt match up as it still doesnt perform to my liking. The AF on the 7Dmk2 is fine with any lens/extender combination I choose but the R7 doesnt come close, most of the time. Why should the AF freeze for no apparent reason, then become functional after switch off and on again? Would you trust a car that runs when it sees fit then stalls on you for no reason? No, you wouldnt and its the same with this camera. It cannot be relied upon so will be used alongside tried and tested (and trustworthy) dslr kit for years to come, unless........... maybe Canon will replace the R7 with a mark 2 with no faults? I dont believe in Santa Claus either !!

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back