Canon R7 R7 and EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS USM Mark I

A35Whelen

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
A35Whelen
I have an EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS USM Mark I lens that I use on a Canon T7i for wildlife and high-school sports. I enjoy the combo, as it provides the basics for what I need at an affordable price. However, I would love to have the electronic shutter for silent shooting (I don't believe rolling shutter would be an issue at all for the subjects I shoot) & eye-tracking that the R7 provides and would love to purchase it for that reason. However, I see the 70-200 Mark i version of this lens is not listed by Canon as supporting maximum high-speed shooting (https://cam.start.canon/en/H001/supplement_0080.html). I would not care at all if I don't get 30fps, but I would like to have at least 10-15fps in electronic shutter. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the R7 and this lens to provide any feedback on what the high-speed shooting is like using this lens?
I'd also be very interested to hear how the autofocus works on this old lens paired with the R7? Can it keep up with semi-fast moving subjects such as soccer & basketball players??

Solution
I don't think I have those images any more, but I found an old post that indicated that my older unsupported lenses delivered 15 fps electronic with the R7. Since the 70-200 gets the lion's share of the use, I have to assume that I was getting 15 fps from that one. I don't see anything about mechanical shutter, but if I had to guess I think I was getting 8.

The Mk II version did deliver 30 fps electronic.

Again, I don't recall any AF deficiencies with the old lens, but it's possible that the new one is better.
I had that lens with my R7. Yes, it did not support high speed and I replaced it with a version two which did (but not specifically for that; I just wanted an overall update). AF was fine. I did measure the frame rates of both versions side by side but I think that data was lost with POTN.

I will see if I have pics from that day still.

I had that lens with my R7. Yes, it did not support high speed and I replaced it with a version two which did (but not specifically for that; I just wanted an overall update). AF was fine. I did measure the frame rates of both versions side by side but I think that data was lost with POTN.

I will see if I have pics from that day still.
Thanks! That would be much appreciated as I'd like to know approximately how many frames per second I could get with that combo.

I don't think I have those images any more, but I found an old post that indicated that my older unsupported lenses delivered 15 fps electronic with the R7. Since the 70-200 gets the lion's share of the use, I have to assume that I was getting 15 fps from that one. I don't see anything about mechanical shutter, but if I had to guess I think I was getting 8.

Again, I don't recall any AF deficiencies with the old lens, but it's possible that the new one is better.

Solution

Thank you! That helps me a lot. I'd be perfectly happy with 15fps electronic with the old lens, as I'm currently getting around 5-6fps with my T7i. Plus, 30fps would give me way more images than I'd want for the shooting I do. If I decided I needed the mechanical shutter, the 8fps would still be slight improvement.

I don't want you to put too much faith in that 8fps number. I still have access to that older lens; I sold it to a local, who I see at games. In fact, I shot with it and my old 7D2 last week when we swapped rigs for an hour. So at some point, could be a week or three, I can check if you want a more solid answer. Looking at past images, I already had the Mk II when I bought the R7, so I would have only mounted the Mk I for testing this.

Still, I can't imagine that the performance would be worse than with a Rebel.

You can see my old thread here:

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back