Canon R7 R7, can you shoot both RAW and cRAw on separate cards?

Chris Summers

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Chris Summers
I wanted to try this to do some comparisons but I haven't figured out if you can. When I chose RAW for card 1 that as well as JPEG are my only choices for card 2. cRaw is greyed out.

According to page 785 of the R7 manual it’s not possible to record RAW to one and CRAW to the other unfortunately Chris.

This is apparently true of the R5 too. Page 135 of the R5 advanced user guide, "recording separately to RAW and CRAW is not available for RAW images"

It’s like that for every Canon camera right now. I recently switched almost exclusively to CRAW. I see no quality or editing ability difference up to ISO 3200.

Switching to CRAW not only increased my storage ability on the card and on my drives, it speeds up my work flow with much smaller files to render when editing.

I recently had two shoots, both right around 2,500 images. The RAW shoot produced just under 89gb total folder size. The CRAW shoot was 28.8gb. Humongous difference. (R6M2)

I'm shooting CRAW all time, from everything I have seen and read, the difference between RAW and CRAW is minimal and unless you are going to print billboard size pictures you should not be worry about it. Still, if you work in such comparison I would like to see your results.

I wanted to add an update to this thread. Last night I shot EFCS at ISO 8000 using CRAW. In Post I did notice some increased noise and slightly less ability for Noiseless AI to clean up the image. I’m going to try this again in the future using mechanical shutter to see if there is any difference.

I wanted to add an update to this thread. Last night I shot EFCS at ISO 8000 using CRAW. In Post I did notice some increased noise and slightly less ability for Noiseless AI to clean up the image. I’m going to try this again in the future using mechanical shutter to see if there is any difference.
Interesting.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back