Followers
Following
Name
Jeff
City/State
Delaware
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
What size SD cards are you using for your R7? I‘ve moved from the Canon DSLR CF cards, and I’m debating on what size SD cards to get. Previously, I’ve always preferred to have more, smaller cards so I didn’t have all my eggs in one basket, so to speak. However, I didn’t really shoot any video, which I plan on doing more of with my R7. I will probably shoot mostly short clips, but I could see there may be some instances where I would want to shoot some longer footage of wildlife, depending on what they are doing. By longer, probably no more than 5-10 minutes at a time. Also, the R7 has a much higher MP sensor than they old cameras so I’m not sure how much space RAW photos will take.

While I don't have an R7, I have an R, which has a 30mp sensor compared to your R7's 32mp sensor. With a 32GB card, I get about 900 shots at iso 100. If I shoot at iso 25600 (almost never do this) I get about 670 shots. The noise in high iso images is data and makes file sizes larger. Your R7 might handle noise better than my R.

If you have a look at page 942 of your EOS R User manual, you will see that Canon says you should be able to shoot 873 RAW images on a 32gb card. They don't specify iso settings, so that depends on which iso settings they used. Maybe it is an average.

Personally, I have mostly 64gb cards because they are more common in UHS-II than 32gb cards. And I prefer UHS-II cards because they are a lot faster when copying the images to my hard drive than UHS-I. Do they save me a lot of time? Not really, but I like the faster speed. It makes me feel better....haha.

I don't normally shoot video, so I don't personally have a need for something larger than 64gb. But if I could get a 128gb card for the same price as a 64gb, then I would buy the 128gb. Just because I have a large card doesn't mean I have to fill it....just because I have two large baskets doesn't mean I have to only carry my eggs in one basket.

As far as brands go, I have Kingston, Sony, Lexar, Transcend, and Sandisk cards. I have not had any failures with any of these brands. The only failure I have had with any memory card, going back to 1997, was a Lexar SD card that I retired a year or so ago. It still worked, but the plastic housing was separating and I was afraid that it might get stuck in the camera, so I trashed it.

I used to think the same about egg basket, but ~15 years of active photography and I think I'm inching towards 1M clicks, I've never had card failure so (knock on wood) I've started doing shoots mostly without changing the cards. All my bodies recently had dual slot so most cases I save double, either raw+jpeg or jpeg+jpeg for sports so there's next to zero chance of both cards failing the same time. Probably only way for both cards to lose pics would be if the camera goes haywire and corrupts/formats both cards. Most of my SD cards are 128-256GB. All are Sandisk or Lexar, bought from reputable stores.

I use this one.

Thank you. That’s a great article, but it doesn’t address sizes, other than what is available. I’m leaning towards 128GB, but was debating the size vs price and how often I would need to change the cards, etc

While I don't have an R7, I have an R, which has a 30mp sensor compared to your R7's 32mp sensor. With a 32GB card, I get about 900 shots at iso 100. If I shoot at iso 25600 (almost never do this) I get about 670 shots. The noise in high iso images is data and makes file sizes larger. Your R7 might handle noise better than my R.

If you have a look at page 942 of your EOS R User manual, you will see that Canon says you should be able to shoot 873 RAW images on a 32gb card. They don't specify iso settings, so that depends on which iso settings they used. Maybe it is an average.

Personally, I have mostly 64gb cards because they are more common in UHS-II than 32gb cards. And I prefer UHS-II cards because they are a lot faster when copying the images to my hard drive than UHS-I. Do they save me a lot of time? Not really, but I like the faster speed. It makes me feel better....haha.

I don't normally shoot video, so I don't personally have a need for something larger than 64gb. But if I could get a 128gb card for the same price as a 64gb, then I would buy the 128gb. Just because I have a large card doesn't mean I have to fill it....just because I have two large baskets doesn't mean I have to only carry my eggs in one basket.

As far as brands go, I have Kingston, Sony, Lexar, Transcend, and Sandisk cards. I have not had any failures with any of these brands. The only failure I have had with any memory card, going back to 1997, was a Lexar SD card that I retired a year or so ago. It still worked, but the plastic housing was separating and I was afraid that it might get stuck in the camera, so I trashed it.
Thanks for the thorough reply! After all the years I‘ve had DSLRs, I didn’t even realize that high ISO images took up more space. Lots of good info here.

I shoot with 128 GB cards in my cameras. They are mostly old cards, but they never limit me in any way. I never shoot bursts that are so long that the buffer fills. I never shoot so many pics that the card fills (only happened once years ago on a 16 GB card). I usually carry extra cards but have never had to use them.

As for "eggs in basket", I never switch baskets in the field, because IMO that is very risky. Often I'm in a grassy field, or maybe in the woods or on the deck of a boat. If I drop the card, it might be hard to find. There is also a static electricity risk when handling cards. So the card never leaves the camera except at home or in the hotel by my computer.

Last year I bought an expensive 128GB CFexpress card for my R5. I'm pleased that I now have a card in the otherwise-unused slot, but there is no difference at all in my shooting. I use the R5 for people shots where high performance isn't needed. But one day I might try some BIF with it.

I shoot CRAW which saves space and has no discernable effect on the image. I shoot stills only, no movies.

Thinking back over 17 years of digital shooting, I've never had a card failure. But I have had a shutter fail fatally, a lens whose focus froze, a flash that couldn't be removed from the hot shoe, and a balky Mode knob. From this I conclude that memory card issues are the least of my worries. I carry spares anyway.

I am the same way, I really don't need a spare memory card, but I have 12... :D . I have bought them over the years and I really like testing things, so many of the purchases have been simply to test the card for read and write speed with different card readers as well as write speed in the camera.

Normally if we are on vacation for several days, I will switch memory cards each day, or every other day depending on how many images I took. But again, it is an old, unnecessary habit.

My modus operandi when on vacation is to keep shooting on the same card day after day, but archive all new shots to my laptop every evening. I can go a week or two on the 128 GB card before it fills.

Once the new shots are on the laptop, I eagerly review them. I do some culling and preliminary editing. I want to see what shots I am getting, and learn from any problems that I see. I use Lightroom Classic for this. The culling/editing takes a fair bit of time, so I back up that effort (the photo folders and the LR catalog) to an external drive.

So I end up with copies of the pic files in 3 places: on the card, on the laptop, and on the external drive.

No matter how good a job of editing I do on the laptop, I have found I can always do better at home on the desktop with the nice big monitor. So I resist posting photos until I get home and do a proper job of editing.

My modus operandi when on vacation is to keep shooting on the same card day after day, but archive all new shots to my laptop every evening. I can go a week or two on the 128 GB card before it fills.

Once the new shots are on the laptop, I eagerly review them. I do some culling and preliminary editing. I want to see what shots I am getting, and learn from any problems that I see. I use Lightroom Classic for this. The culling/editing takes a fair bit of time, so I back up that effort (the photo folders and the LR catalog) to an external drive.

So I end up with copies of the pic files in 3 places: on the card, on the laptop, and on the external drive.

No matter how good a job of editing I do on the laptop, I have found I can always do better at home on the desktop with the nice big monitor. So I resist posting photos until I get home and do a proper job of editing.
Nice workflow. I haven’t had a laptop in years, they get obsolete so fast and they cost too much for how long you get to use them. I use an iPad most of the time and have an old Mac Pro for editing. Will probably upgrade that to a Mac Studio in the Spring. Haven’t quite figured out what my workflow will be when I get my camper next year and do a lot of traveling and shooting.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back