Followers
Following
Name
Jeff
City/State
Delaware
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
What size SD cards are you using for your R7? I‘ve moved from the Canon DSLR CF cards, and I’m debating on what size SD cards to get. Previously, I’ve always preferred to have more, smaller cards so I didn’t have all my eggs in one basket, so to speak. However, I didn’t really shoot any video, which I plan on doing more of with my R7. I will probably shoot mostly short clips, but I could see there may be some instances where I would want to shoot some longer footage of wildlife, depending on what they are doing. By longer, probably no more than 5-10 minutes at a time. Also, the R7 has a much higher MP sensor than they old cameras so I’m not sure how much space RAW photos will take.

I get the files off the card after every shoot. I plug the card in and pre-cull the files using Canon's DPP. I delete all the unwanted files and the drag the remaining ones to to a folder I created on the desktop which is named based on the shoot. I import that folder into LrC. After the previews are built using LrC I drag that folder to the powered external drive.

When I travel I create a new catalogue on my laptop and name it based on the trip. I follow the same process. When I get home I copy the catalogue to the portable external drive, plug it into the desktop and and use the Import from Another catalogue command. It merges it into the master catalogue.

What size SD cards are you using for your R7? I‘ve moved from the Canon DSLR CF cards, and I’m debating on what size SD cards to get. Previously, I’ve always preferred to have more, smaller cards so I didn’t have all my eggs in one basket, so to speak. However, I didn’t really shoot any video, which I plan on doing more of with my R7. I will probably shoot mostly short clips, but I could see there may be some instances where I would want to shoot some longer footage of wildlife, depending on what they are doing. By longer, probably no more than 5-10 minutes at a time. Also, the R7 has a much higher MP sensor than they old cameras so I’m not sure how much space RAW photos will take.
64 GB V90

I use 32Gb Sandisks in my SD slot and as I have an R5 I also use a 512GB Sandisk CFExpress card. I use both cards for my shots, My R5 copies the same files to both cards (Raw). In my years with a 350D, 7D, 5DMKII, 5DsR and now the R5 for 18 months I have never, ( touch wood, I'll jinx myself now), had a card failure. I use exclusively Sandisk on the R5. I have found the 32GB cards to be more than ample for what I need. Heck, I even did a wedding with 3000 shots, The 5D MKII and the 7D did well with changing only one card. I did use 64Gb back then. I always carry extras though, for insurance. I don't like big cards, except for the CFExpress, as it's a lot of files to lose if the card goes down.

My modus operandi when on vacation is to keep shooting on the same card day after day, but archive all new shots to my laptop every evening. I can go a week or two on the 128 GB card before it fills.

Once the new shots are on the laptop, I eagerly review them. I do some culling and preliminary editing. I want to see what shots I am getting, and learn from any problems that I see. I use Lightroom Classic for this. The culling/editing takes a fair bit of time, so I back up that effort (the photo folders and the LR catalog) to an external drive.

So I end up with copies of the pic files in 3 places: on the card, on the laptop, and on the external drive.

No matter how good a job of editing I do on the laptop, I have found I can always do better at home on the desktop with the nice big monitor. So I resist posting photos until I get home and do a proper job of editing.
I do the exact same thing.
FWIW I have never had a card failure since my first digital cam the Canon D60 (not 60D)

Funny to remember when every new digital camera came with a memory card that you could barely put a few dozen pictures on! I've long since gotten rid of those smaller memory ones but kept a 4 GB Hitachi Micro Drive CF card just as a curiosity. It was actually a tiny hard drive in the form of a CF card.

These days I shoot mostly with 128 GB SD cards, none of my current cameras take CF or other cards. I took Tim's recommendation on the Kingston Canvas React Plus. They are very fast at writing the files.

Funny to remember when every new digital camera came with a memory card that you could barely put a few dozen pictures on! I've long since gotten rid of those smaller memory ones but kept a 4 GB Hitachi Micro Drive CF card just as a curiosity. It was actually a tiny hard drive in the form of a CF card.

These days I shoot mostly with 128 GB SD cards, none of my current cameras take CF or other cards. I took Tim's recommendation on the Kingston Canvas React Plus. They are very fast at writing the files.
Those were the days! I still have the CF card that came with my camera back around 2006. It says "16" with "MB" barely noticeable in the corner. Everyone knew that megabytes was intended. To imagine 16 GB would have been crazy, let alone the bigger cards we use now without much thought.

R7_C0190.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • RF-S18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM
  • 150.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/10 sec
  • ISO 400

I bought my camera an SD card for Christmas - a fast 256GB one. Now I can shoot for 6 months without having to clear the card.

Archibald, you are going to have to step up your game here. I suspect this dinosaur was sold with one of my PowerShots in the ‘90s.

IMG_3720.jpeg

On my R7 I currently shoot RAWS to a 64GB Extreme Pro V30 in slot 1, and JPEGs to an Ultra Pro V10 Micro SD in slot 2. I usually download after every shooting event so space on card 1 has never been an issue. Whenever card 2 fills up I just reformat it.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back