RAW

Charles

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Charles Frederick Turner
Simple, but pretty stupid question, is there any reason to shoot in other than RAW?

Like everything else, it depends. An acquaintance of mine shoots ±100k images per month. He shoots only JPEG and has dialed in his camera to give him the look he wants. I shot HDR real estate photos for a while. The company I shot for would only accept medium resolution JPEG files. It all comes down to how many images and who the images are for. I shoot all in RAW now but if a particular situation arose that required a large quantity of images, I would seriously consider shooting at least CRAW or JPEG files.

I've come to the conclusion a long time ago with regards to the antagonistic JPG vs. RAW war that shooting JPG is a PITA with all the variables that need to be taken care of in-camera, like WB, sharpness, contrast, saturation, etc. Meanwhile RAW is like "point and shoot" (well almost), but you get it. :)

Cheers guys, I came to the conclusion that as size isn't an issue now just shoot in raw, from which you can produce a jpeg 😊

Freddijay is right on for jpeg reasons. But for me, I can make a jpeg out of a raw file but I can’t make a raw file out of a jpeg.

Also high ISO shooting the camera NR is usually better than LR/PS NR so easier for workflow to go jpeg in those cases.

Also high ISO shooting the camera NR is usually better than LR/PS NR so easier for workflow to go jpeg in those cases.
Not after this weeks update to LR/PS :) But the workflow is still clunky.

Not after this weeks update to LR/PS :) But the workflow is still clunky.
I think it's still better on camera even though if LR is getting better. Topaz seems to rival camera NR quality but it's extra step in the workflow.

Simple, but pretty stupid question, is there any reason to shoot in other than RAW?
If you're shooting under very controlled conditions and the end product isn't needed for print, sure. JPG will do.

Has anyone noted any difference between Raw and CRaw apart from the filesize? I think I read somewhere that CRaw is a lossy format albeit not as much as JPG.

Last edited:

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back