View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Dhuddy

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
D.Hudson
Hi,

First post on here and it's a bit embarrassing to be honest.

Managed to get a new RF70-200mm f/4 for my R6 and the first time I took it out, I managed to lose the lens hood. I was with my 5 year old daughter and it's obviously been knocked and dropped off somewhere (retraced steps etc but no joy).

I have been looking online for a replacement and have found the Canon one ( Part No. ET-83G (WIII) I believe) listed for pre-order in a couple of places but it's £83!!!! This is an extortionate and - in my opinion totally unjustifiable - amount of money for what it is. It's hardly full of technology and the R&D couldn't have taken too long.

I bought a JJC hood via eBay for my RF 800mm f/11 which was about £12! In all fairness, in isn't quite as thick as the pukka Canon ones but it clips on and the fit is excellent. It simply does exactly what a lens hood needs to do - for a fraction of the price of the Canon one (which when I last looked, wasn't available anyway).

I can't see a compatible hood for the RF70-200 f/4 specifically (several for the EF and the f2.8 versions). I have emailed JJC directly but had no answer.

Anyone have any ideas?

Canon has been fairly standard on the 77mm size for L series lenses. The hoods from my EF 100-400 and 17-40 both fit the RF 24-105. So, perhaps you can source another of the 83 series hoods or their equivalents at reasonable prices and give them a try.

Ahh, excellent Robbie. Thanks. Didn't realise the fixing was the same although I did order a JJC LH-83D hood (that comes with a filter window) for about £16. My main concern is that it will be too long and be seen in the images but they do produce others if this one doesn't suit.
Just been keeping my fingers crossed until the slow boat from China arrives.
Thanks again.

Ouch!
That is unbelievable. The scary thing is, it's someone's job at Canon to actually come up with this pricing structure. How is that justifiable?!?

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back