RF 100 Macro

RickH1

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Richard Holzmann
I recently bought the RF 100 macro , I don't really like the SA thing maybe that will grow on me , I want to try some studio shoots with it next .

Attachments

• Purple flower macro .jpeg
    Purple flower macro .jpeg
    386.4 KB · Views: 62
  • Wasp macro.jpeg
    Wasp macro.jpeg
    429.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Bee macro lens .jpeg
    Bee macro lens .jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 59
I recently bought the RF 100 macro , I don't really like the SA thing maybe that will grow on me , I want to try some studio shoots with it next .
Thanks for sharing. I am using the EF100 mm f2.8L macro and am eager to try out the RF version. I’ll probably rent at some point.

The SA business cost Canon a sale to me. I'll use my old EF until it dies and see if there is a better option by then.

I just never use the SA and keep it locked off. I do like the 1.4x:1 mag level. The lens is fast and sharp. the focus shifting issue is a non problem for me. I shoot at f/2.8 when focus stacking anyway.

So, do I understand you correctly that the rumored focus shifting is a fact but that you just don't care since you only use f/2.8? I shoot live insects often at f/11 so focus shifting is worse than no contacts making the 2:1 manual Laowas (90 or 100 in RF) a better choice. The rumors and the SA feature were enough for me to avoid the Canon lens. To get best use from focus bracketing macro, it is best to have both closest focusing (1.4-1 was appealing, 2:1 would be better) and electronic autofocus so the Laowa 100 in EF seems better.

So, do I understand you correctly that the rumored focus shifting is a fact but that you just don't care since you only use f/2.8? I shoot live insects often at f/11 so focus shifting is worse than no contacts making the 2:1 manual Laowas (90 or 100 in RF) a better choice. The rumors and the SA feature were enough for me to avoid the Canon lens. To get best use from focus bracketing macro, it is best to have both closest focusing (1.4-1 was appealing, 2:1 would be better) and electronic autofocus so the Laowa 100 in EF seems better.
The focus shift only occurs between f/4-f/8 and only in limited circumstances. So far, in my use, i get none at all.
And, it's a great portrait lens.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back