Full Frame RF 200-800....early days but I'm very impressed!

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Dave Williams

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Dave Williams
I only received my lens early this week and it literally hasn't been out of the house yet but I have to say I'm impressed with the limited shots I have taken out of the bathroom window ( doubles as a hide on occasions!). The lens feels solid, it's not that heavy if you have handled big telephotos such as the 500 and 600f4 but you might think differently if you haven't. . The tripod foot makes an excellent carry handle and whether I buy a Swiss Arca plate remains to be seen. I'm hoping not to have it on a tripod to be honest but we'll see.
The lens is quite long when fully extended so that presents a unique problem for me and my bathroom window as the angle I need to shoot at means I have to hold the camera, view through the opened flip screen and rely on the R5's eye detect to find the focus point I want. I am not in complete control!
That said the IQ seems very good from the few shots I have taken of our garden visitors. The bokeh might not be comparable with an f4 lens but neither is the cost of the lens.
I think I'm going to be very happy with my new toy!
full frame.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF200-800mm F6.3-9 IS USM
  • 800.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 2500

crop.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 800.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 2500

Congratulations on the new lens Dave! Beautiful shot too. It's been a while since I've shot a fox. We have fox cubs on our family farm right now, it's just finding the time to get over there to shoot them.

I've had a month with mine, but not a lot of opportunities. Things are finally turning green and birds are migrating in here, so there will be more time to evaluate in the coming weeks.

That said, initial impressions are good but mixed. For what it is and what it costs I don't know that I could have expected more. Unlike the 100-500mm where I have no issue shooting wide open at 500mm, I am finding an uptick in sharpness moving from f9 to f10 at 800mm. No ideal, but I'd rather deal with noise than softness. And using a combination of DxO PureRaw and Topaz DeNoise AI both of those things are generally "fixable".

Shooting birds in flight I'm finding I have to use at least 1/2000 sec, which when combined with f10 can jack the ISO quickly, and that even then I'm getting some softness in 2 of 3 shots. I'm shooting with the R5 and hoping that an improved focus system on the Mkii fixes that. I've played with it on the R7, but honestly it's almost too much lens for that camera in all but 15% of cases. On that camera I'm also seeing temperature distortion when shooting smaller subjects on or near the ground - something that was expected.

No regrets as it is a good cut above the f11 primes on the sharpness scale, easily handheld except maybe for BIF with a cropped sensor, and then it's a focal length thing. Very happy. Only wish it had arrived 2 months earlier when I was shooting a ton of stuff.

I've had a month with mine, but not a lot of opportunities. Things are finally turning green and birds are migrating in here, so there will be more time to evaluate in the coming weeks.

That said, initial impressions are good but mixed. For what it is and what it costs I don't know that I could have expected more. Unlike the 100-500mm where I have no issue shooting wide open at 500mm, I am finding an uptick in sharpness moving from f9 to f10 at 800mm. No ideal, but I'd rather deal with noise than softness. And using a combination of DxO PureRaw and Topaz DeNoise AI both of those things are generally "fixable".

Shooting birds in flight I'm finding I have to use at least 1/2000 sec, which when combined with f10 can jack the ISO quickly, and that even then I'm getting some softness in 2 of 3 shots. I'm shooting with the R5 and hoping that an improved focus system on the Mkii fixes that. I've played with it on the R7, but honestly it's almost too much lens for that camera in all but 15% of cases. On that camera I'm also seeing temperature distortion when shooting smaller subjects on or near the ground - something that was expected.

No regrets as it is a good cut above the f11 primes on the sharpness scale, easily handheld except maybe for BIF with a cropped sensor, and then it's a focal length thing. Very happy. Only wish it had arrived 2 months earlier when I was shooting a ton of stuff.
I tend to agree with everything you have said from my initial foray this morning. The R5 + 100-500 struggles with BIF when the background is varied, it was hopeless with the 200-800. It briefly gained soft focus when the bird passed a clear stretch of rock face but soon lost it again. I was just playing today but my intention is to keep the R5 on the 100-500 and stick the R7 on the 200-800 where the subject is small and I need more reach to make it bigger in the frame.
_G7A6410 copy-topaz-denoise-sharpen.jpeg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 800.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/3200 sec
  • ISO 3200

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back