Canon R7 RF Travel Lens Suggestions

Woodbadger

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Ian Layton
Hi! I have an R7 with the RF-S 18-150 and the RF 100-400. I mainly do bird photos and have not use the smaller lens much at all.
We are going to Spain on vacation this fall/Autumn and will NOT be doing any birding. I originally planned on taking just the RF-S lens. Normally on vacation I take a lot of architectural shots. I think this will be a good lens for most uses. My only concern is the aperture range at max f/3.5 when shooting interiors. Looking at metadata from previous trips with a bridge camera I see that I was shooting at f/4 (max available)and < 1/50sec at 1000 ISO and my pictures suffered for it.
I realize I now have much more room as far as ISO, but still wonder if I need a faster lens for those indoors conditions? (Think inside castles, cathedrals, mosques etc.)
If so, do you have any suggestions (e.g RF 16mm f/2.8) i am somewhat limited in budget and probably the L series are out reach.

Last edited:
The RF16mm is a great lens for its price, especially if you're using it on APS-C, which cuts off the parts where it isn't so good. It also is very compact, which I appreciated on family vacations.

Agreed. The 16mm is a good lens for the price. Also, very compact and fits in a pocket easily when using another lens if travelling without a camera bag.

Hi! I have an R7 with the RF-S 18-150 and the RF 100-400. I mainly do bird photos and have not use the smaller lens much at all.
We are going to Spain on vacation this fall/Autumn and will NOT be doing any birding. I originally planned on taking just the RF-S lens. Normally on vacation I take a lot of architectural shots. I think this will be a good lens for most uses. My only concern is the aperture range at max f/3.5 when shooting interiors. Looking at metadata from previous trips with a bridge camera I see that I was shooting at f/4 (max available)and < 1/50sec at 1000 ISO and my pictures suffered for it.
I realize I now have much more room as far as ISO, but still wonder if I need a faster lens for those indoors conditions? (Think inside castles, cathedrals, mosques etc.)
If so, do you have any suggestions (e.g RF 16mm f/2.8) i am somewhat limited in budget and probably the L series are out reach.
I see that you own the RF50 f1l8, that's another good option for interiors. I used in my last cruise and it worked for me. The RF16 will perform well but you may have to use Topaz Denoise in some pictures.

Thanks for your response. Yes, since I posted I have been lucky enough to pick ip both those lenses. Since they are small enough for my daybag, I plan on taking both primes and the kit lens. I have also added a CP filter to the 18-150 for outdoor shots.

I’ve been really impressed with the RF 24-105 f4-7.1. It’s a little narrow at 85 and beyond but the only thing it seems it impact is bokeh. High ISO with an R7 I’d imagine is just fine. It’s about a 38-168 on aps-c but that’s still a decent range. Also can’t go wrong with the RF nifty fifty. $180 bucks and phenomenal performance for what it is. I really like the way 50s on aps-c look, too. Heck, the 50mm and 16mm silver ring lenses are so cheap and small you could pack both.

I think that I found my travel lens. Tamron 18-400 EF. It covers the whole range from wide angle to zoom. You can get it used for $550. Image quality is good enough after post editing. But the biggest point is that you will not miss anymore a good picture because you have the wrong lens in your camera.

When I last travelled with the R7 and 18-150, I found myself wanting wider, a lot wider. The 1.6 crop factor on the 16mm brings it to 25.6mm, which is better but I still want wider. I really hope Canon puts out a 10-22 (16-35 full frame equivalent). As far as how it performs in low light, the IBIS really holds up and with today’s choice of AI noise reduction software you can pull out some really good low light images.

To see how the R7 and 18-150 held up on a trip to Paris and London, check out my web page for our trip, https://www.balzanto.com/Travels/Paris-London. There’s a link at the top to just see the gallery of photos.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back