Canon R7 RF Travel Lens Suggestions

Woodbadger

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Ian Layton
Hi! I have an R7 with the RF-S 18-150 and the RF 100-400. I mainly do bird photos and have not use the smaller lens much at all.
We are going to Spain on vacation this fall/Autumn and will NOT be doing any birding. I originally planned on taking just the RF-S lens. Normally on vacation I take a lot of architectural shots. I think this will be a good lens for most uses. My only concern is the aperture range at max f/3.5 when shooting interiors. Looking at metadata from previous trips with a bridge camera I see that I was shooting at f/4 (max available)and < 1/50sec at 1000 ISO and my pictures suffered for it.
I realize I now have much more room as far as ISO, but still wonder if I need a faster lens for those indoors conditions? (Think inside castles, cathedrals, mosques etc.)
If so, do you have any suggestions (e.g RF 16mm f/2.8) i am somewhat limited in budget and probably the L series are out reach.

Last edited:
How does that lens do in low light?
If you are asking me about the Tamron 18-400, this is not a fast lens. It’s the lens you take to walk around a city or archeological site. It’s not a lens to take pictures inside of a room but still, AF works as expected and once you clean the noise you end with decent pictures.

Expect a little better performance than the RF18-150 which I also own.

Here is a picture taken with the Tamron 18-400.
202308_CR7_0476-CR3 -1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • TAMRON 18-400mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC HLD B028
  • 71.0 mm
  • ƒ/5
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 1250

No perfect but not bad either.

Hi! I have an R7 with the RF-S 18-150 and the RF 100-400. I mainly do bird photos and have not use the smaller lens much at all.
We are going to Spain on vacation this fall/Autumn and will NOT be doing any birding. I originally planned on taking just the RF-S lens. Normally on vacation I take a lot of architectural shots. I think this will be a good lens for most uses. My only concern is the aperture range at max f/3.5 when shooting interiors. Looking at metadata from previous trips with a bridge camera I see that I was shooting at f/4 (max available)and < 1/50sec at 1000 ISO and my pictures suffered for it.
I realize I now have much more room as far as ISO, but still wonder if I need a faster lens for those indoors conditions? (Think inside castles, cathedrals, mosques etc.)
If so, do you have any suggestions (e.g RF 16mm f/2.8) i am somewhat limited in budget and probably the L series are out reach.
I have used the EFs 10-18mm in a coal mine with great success.

I ended up getting the RF 16mm f2.8 for a steal. The combination of that and the RF-S 18-150 fulfilled my needs.

I ended up getting the RF 16mm f/2.8 for a steal.
Woody, you chose the correct lens. Some suggestions:
  • Consider purchasing the lens hood for the RF 18mm.
  • Before you go, practise shooting multi-shot panoramas and stitching them together on your computer. There'll be times when 25 mm (FF equivalent) won't be sufficiently wide.
  • The polarising filter should prove invaluable for removing reflections from glass and enhancing water. It can also be used to do unnatural things to perfectly acceptable skies! :rolleyes:
Enjoy!

… David

I was just looking at these. They are cheap as chips right now. I saw a used one for $100. Makes me wonder how bad the image quality is for them to be so cheap.

Edit: sorry, I was looking at the EF-S 10-22. The 10-18 is still only $150 though. Anyone ever compared the IQ of these 2 lenses?

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back