Rowing

jonz

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
John
Any suggestions for settings for photographing rowing with R7 and RF 100-400?
I'll be on the river bank, photographing rowing eights. At the closest point, the boats will be about 30 yards from me.

Nobody answered this, and probably that event already happened but in case you still need the advice... first, you have the right camera and the right lens for the job. A few tips:
  • If you have, get the CPL filter with you too. This will help eliminate unwanted reflections on water at the cost of an f-stop or two
  • You don't need extreme shutter speeds, from 30 yards 1/500 will freeze rowers. If they are fast and close, pan
  • Composition-wise, try positioning yourself so that you get a few "killer" shots, e.g. a boat perfectly parallel with the horizon with boat at 1/3 height of image, horizon at 2/3. Or if you can get on a bridge, then boat straight from north to south of the frame, cutting it in half
  • Again composition-wise, if possible stand on the bank that will give you boats going from left to right on your frame -- this direction is more natural to view and suggests "going somewhere" rather than "coming back". Especially in western culture.
  • Find a stationary object on water (buoy or beacon) and try to get a few long shutter speed shots (e.g. 1/30) to highlight the speed of boats
  • To highlight rowers themselves, zoom close and fast speed again (1/500), and no need to fit the entire boat of 8 -- detailed shots where individuals are subjects rather than entire boats
  • Find something amusing to contrast with the serious competitive spirit! (see below :)
Good luck. Or if that has already happened, share the results!

Rowers in the Port of Cork_20231007.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6m2
  • EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 200

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back