Canon R7 Extender 1.4 Experience

esp5

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Dazza
Hi all. Had the r7 with rf 100-400 lens few weeks now and love it. Just wondering if anyone has and experience with this setup with the 1.4 x. Not looking to buy another lens etc just opinions and views of those that do or have used this set up
Thanks everyone

Hi all. Had the r7 with rf 100-400 lens few weeks now and love it. Just wondering if anyone has and experience with this setup with the 1.4 x. Not looking to buy another lens etc just opinions and views of those that do or have used this set up
Thanks everyone
At the long end, you'll get 560mm at f/11. Good enough for sunny days. I've used the 1.4 extender on my 100-500 and the results are good, but I prefer to crop if I'm using the R5 to keep the lens and camera weight and balance manageable.

I'm going by hearsay, but believe the tele-extenders are optimized for the big white primes and less so for the zooms. Of course they work well on the zooms too, but cropping also does, and with a high-mpx body, I believe cropping will win out.

IMHO, the 1.4TC works well on the RF 100-500 on the R5 (I don't have the 100-400). On my R7, the 1.4TC further compromises the camera's AF with the RF 100-500. I suggest going to a cam store and trying it on the R7 in normal light before purchasing.

Whilst the loss of 1 stop of light when using the 1.4 extender is annoying, with todays cameras which are very good at higher ISOs i don't see it as a show stopper. I use it on the RF100-500 and find it useful when you need that bit of extra reach.

Thanks everyone
Not sure if it would work with your RF100-400 lens. Below was taken from the Canon website:

"This extender is only compatible with the following RF lenses RF 600mm F11 IS STM, RF 800mm F11 IS STM, RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM. Use is not accessible with previous RF lenses. Additionally, please see the lens and/or camera body manual for full compatibility information with the Extender RF 1.4x."

I might be wrong though.

Compatibility​

• RF 600mm F11 IS STM Lens
  • RF 800mm F11 IS STM Lens
  • RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM Lens
  • Lens Extender Cap RF
  • RF 400mm F2.8L IS USM
  • RF 600mm F4L IS USM
  • RF 100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM
  • RF 800mm F5.6L IS USM
  • RF 1200mm F8L IS USM
  • EOS R7
  • EOS R10
  • RF 200-800mm F6.3-9 IS USM
Got this direct from Canon Website, list of compatible lenses, can assume is up to date as the new RF 200-800 appears, which isn't in the shops yet.

Compatibility​

• RF 600mm F11 IS STM Lens
  • RF 800mm F11 IS STM Lens
  • RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM Lens
  • Lens Extender Cap RF
  • RF 400mm F2.8L IS USM
  • RF 600mm F4L IS USM
  • RF 100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM
  • RF 800mm F5.6L IS USM
  • RF 1200mm F8L IS USM
  • EOS R7
  • EOS R10
  • RF 200-800mm F6.3-9 IS USM
Got this direct from Canon Website, list of compatible lenses, can assume is up to date as the new RF 200-800 appears, which isn't in the shops yet.
I'm seeing the Canadian site needs updating. Thanks for the share.

I too purchased an R7 along with the 100-400 in the pre Christmas John Lewis sale. I added the 1.4x TC from the Canon Store. Early days and the only test I have made with/without the TC is on planes from Heathrow at about 5000 ft, with it I can read the registration without I can't. When out birding I've left it on as usually things are a distance away but I will be trying with without on birds in the garden to see if a crop results in sharper images, as the TC isn't cheap I'd expect the TC to win over the crop. I'm more interested in how it affects the focus though compared to a Panasonic Bridge and the M50 with an EF lens I was using before the R7 is in a different league.

Check out the comments at Reddit, especially the post by gabedamien on use of the 1.4x with the 100-400mm.

There are lots more articles online about crop vs TC, and I have read a few. The conclusion is that sometimes cropping wins and at other times the TC wins. It depends on the particular lens and on shooting conditions. TCs work better on high quality lenses, and they benefit from good light.

In the end, it might be the skill of the user and technique that is more important. But for now, I'm resisting using a tripod with gimbal head for my shots.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back