Canon R7 R7 Frustrations

Barry

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Barry Porteus
Back again. I have now lost patience with the R7 . I have just taken 300 + images in good light using a 1.4x extender on a 100-400mm EF zoom and the adapter ring. I have tried a variety of settings with av, tv, fully automatic, and a range of ISO settings. I have used 1 shot AF, servo AF, mechanical, electronic first curtain and silent shutter modes ........ you get the picture? I have basically tried everything settings wise and been consistent with the choice of lens etc. Result is 12 sharp images and about 290 blurs.

MY camera is a piece of junk!!!! Its gone back to Canon with a stiff note. Apparently there are quite a few people in the UK with the same issues. Are you listening CANON????

may be because the nose was closer to the camera than the eye? The eye and the neck may have been in the same distance from the camera. will that explain that?

The bottom line, do you feel that my camera may be having the same issue as your?

Here is a whole album where you may have more information to answer this last question: * Focus point most of the time is the eye of the subject.

I do not think that I have the problem but when I read your article I do not notice any problems, to me your pictures from the old R7 are ok, so that makes me doubt about my camera! :D
Frank, in general, I do not see a pattern of focus problems like I had on my old camera. In my case, the clearest example of the problem was my face taken with the old kit, then the old camera with a lens from a different kit. If you look at those, you will see how sharpness suffered and then rescued. In all the others, as large as the pictures in the galleries may be, they still do not convey the problem a full image does. That's why I included the pen nib photo at 100%. That photograph was taken with the camera on the tripod and the focus target positioned on the nib. I don't see anything like those in your collection.

Frank, in general, I do not see a pattern of focus problems like I had on my old camera. In my case, the clearest example of the problem was my face taken with the old kit, then the old camera with a lens from a different kit. If you look at those, you will see how sharpness suffered and then rescued. In all the others, as large as the pictures in the galleries may be, they still do not convey the problem a full image does. That's why I included the pen nib photo at 100%. That photograph was taken with the camera on the tripod and the focus target positioned on the nib. I don't see anything like those in your collection.
Thanks for all your help. I'm feeling better now.

I own the EF100-400 + 1.4 extension. I can tell you that they work really well in the R7. With the 1.4 extension you will notice a little bit softer pictures than if you just the EF100-400. I only use the 1.4 extender when I really want more reach. After all the EF100-400 will give you more than 600mm and that for birding is more than enough. At least for me.

Here is one of my pictures, I can't recall if I used the extender here.

A lovely image. Its my thought you were not too far away from the bird in question. I still believe that my camera is a dud despite all I have tried so far. The authorised repair found it just a bit out of true and they corrected it. I still think its not designed to use EF glass whatever Canon says it can do. I have been using a 70-200mm L series zoom today to photograph insects. I have a bit of success but not up to the standard I get with a 7Dmk2

Attachments

• Common Drone Fly-Eristalis tenax.jpg
    Common Drone Fly-Eristalis tenax.jpg
    573.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Common Green Bottle-Lucilla serricata.jpg
    Common Green Bottle-Lucilla serricata.jpg
    488.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Hornet Mimic Hoverfly Volucella zonaria.JPG
    Hornet Mimic Hoverfly Volucella zonaria.JPG
    629.4 KB · Views: 27
The only RF lens that I own is a RF50 f1.8 and the RF18-150. I do not use them. All my pictures are from the EF100-400 and the EF70-200. You can check a huge example of what type of pictures I get using the EF lenses here:

A lovely image. Its my thought you were not too far away from the bird in question. I still believe that my camera is a dud despite all I have tried so far. The authorised repair found it just a bit out of true and they corrected it. I still think its not designed to use EF glass whatever Canon says it can do. I have been using a 70-200mm L series zoom today to photograph insects. I have a bit of success but not up to the standard I get with a 7Dmk2
Those 3 pictures look sharp to me. I do not have any doubt that the RF lenses may work better than the adapted lenses but I do not have any complains about the EF L lenses that I use. I have other EF lenses that are not L and I do not use them that much but I do not attribute their limitations to the R7, they are just cheap lenses. The R7 has a huge sensor and no all EF lenses work well, you have to understand the limitations that come from using old lenses with new cameras.

ctitanic---I agree with you totally regarding lenses which was why my lenses are all L series. I guess I am just used to better images from EF cameras. Those insect shots are the best three out of 60. The hit rate is so poor. I am not putting down the R7 , I just don't rate it that highly. I have read elsewhere that a lot of users have been disappointed by some aspects of the R7. It is a useable camera, but not one I would rely on for anything important. The sensor is not much different from the 90D. A colleague uses one and gets amazing images with it using the exact same lens we are on about, the 100-400mm zoom.

ctitanic---I agree with you totally regarding lenses which was why my lenses are all L series. I guess I am just used to better images from EF cameras. Those insect shots are the best three out of 60. The hit rate is so poor. I am not putting down the R7 , I just don't rate it that highly. I have read elsewhere that a lot of users have been disappointed by some aspects of the R7. It is a useable camera, but not one I would rely on for anything important. The sensor is not much different from the 90D. A colleague uses one and gets amazing images with it using the exact same lens we are on about, the 100-400mm zoom.
If your hit rate is so poor then you have a faulty camera. It's not the first time that owners have reported AF issues with faulty R7s that have been replaced and the AF in the replacement is a lot better.

I'm a lucky one with a good camera that gives me more than 90% of keepers.
I use:
-Most of the time electronic shutter mode
-Single shot, I do not have the patience to go checking 30 pictures to pic one. I shoot usually 2 or 3 pictures and pick one, the other two are sharp but from the point of view of composition are not good enough for me
-I use mechanical shutter mode with burst only for birds in flight, the success rate on those is a lot less, may be 30%, but I never had a better rate in any of the other cameras that I ever owned from Nikon or Sony.

I would recommend you to see if you can replace your camera.

Last edited:

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back