Mel H

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Mel horne
I had been getting to know my r7 but am feeling a little frustrated over the auto focus. I tried some birds and only got say 2 shots before is lost focus, I took some advice and tweaked the settings, and put it down to the fact that the birds were small and very fast. I tried it on horses, slower and much bigger, but with animal I’d and tracking on , it was still losing focus, not locking on and keeping sharp - see 2 consecutive horse shots attached. I thought that maybe because there was both a person and an animal it was getting confused on where to focus. Today I tried it with some caterpillars in the garden and still got the loss of focus, I took off the animal ID and the tracking and set the focus point to the centre single point , it improved it a bit, but not that much. I hope it is something I am not doing, or a setting I have got wrong, the manual is not that helpful at all. Any comments , thoughts or advice would be welcome . Taken with canon lens using the adaptor

Attachments

• 33D83B53-29D3-4287-87E4-C1E48C54FD0E.jpeg
    33D83B53-29D3-4287-87E4-C1E48C54FD0E.jpeg
    567.4 KB · Views: 122
  • 4CEEF2DB-1144-448B-9E0D-E5B46C18FEBF.jpeg
    4CEEF2DB-1144-448B-9E0D-E5B46C18FEBF.jpeg
    825.6 KB · Views: 122
  • 0F697911-6CA1-4F18-80E5-C1DAD4E744EC.jpeg
    0F697911-6CA1-4F18-80E5-C1DAD4E744EC.jpeg
    396.7 KB · Views: 111
  • EF0C1C6A-4416-456C-999B-1D9B284E0094.jpeg
    EF0C1C6A-4416-456C-999B-1D9B284E0094.jpeg
    403.7 KB · Views: 114
I had been getting to know my r7 but am feeling a little frustrated over the auto focus. I tried some birds and only got say 2 shots before is lost focus, I took some advice and tweaked the settings, and put it down to the fact that the birds were small and very fast. I tried it on horses, slower and much bigger, but with animal I’d and tracking on , it was still losing focus, not locking on and keeping sharp - see 2 consecutive horse shots attached. I thought that maybe because there was both a person and an animal it was getting confused on where to focus. Today I tried it with some caterpillars in the garden and still got the loss of focus, I took off the animal ID and the tracking and set the focus point to the centre single point , it improved it a bit, but not that much. I hope it is something I am not doing, or a setting I have got wrong, the manual is not that helpful at all. Any comments , thoughts or advice would be welcome . Taken with canon lens using the adaptor
I have exactly the same problems with R7 and EF 100-400 IS II. I contacted the canon CPS, I sent the raw files to the after-sales service. This happened from time to time focused locked on the subject and it's blurry... The focus has been done elsewhere ... What do you have as a lens, settings

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1662932731088.jpg
    FB_IMG_1662932731088.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 51
  • FB_IMG_1662932718724.jpg
    FB_IMG_1662932718724.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 73
Could the issue be related to the EF-to-RF adapter? Mel and Eric, have you tried using a native RF lens to see if you experience the same focus issue with that combination works?

Could the issue be related to the EF-to-RF adapter? Mel and Eric, have you tried using a native RF lens to see if you experience the same focus issue with that combination works?
I wish I had a rf lens, I spoke to the camera dealer and they are trying to find out for me, I am also going to the Photography show so will stop by the Canon stand and see if they have any ideas.

It's really random, until I realize it's usually on the expanded area mode. In the AF spot mode I did not have this problem it seems to me ... Overall 95% of the photos are good but I would like to understand why he will focus elsewhere😅

I'll say it plain and simple, the focus lock on the R7 isn't all that great at the moment, particularly in low light and even contrast situations. Even in situations where it locks right onto the eye I will watch focus drift slightly in and out over a 15fps burst. I expect that to be fixed in the next firmware update because we had similar issues on the R5 early on. It's frustrating but I expect it to improve.

With your horse shots it would help to know what focus mode you were in. Was it facial recognition or something else? It's slightly busy in terms of content so I know from experience that it may just grab the wrong thing up front in the wrong mode.

I'll say it plain and simple, the focus lock on the R7 isn't all that great at the moment, particularly in low light and even contrast situations. Even in situations where it locks right onto the eye I will watch focus drift slightly in and out over a 15fps burst. I expect that to be fixed in the next firmware update because we had similar issues on the R5 early on. It's frustrating but I expect it to improve.

With your horse shots it would help to know what focus mode you were in. Was it facial recognition or something else? It's slightly busy in terms of content so I know from experience that it may just grab the wrong thing up front in the wrong mode.
I think I had it on animal mode, but I did wonder if having a person and an animal in the same place would confuse it, but the focus swapped to a house which is perplexing. I have to say I am disappointed in the performance so far , my old 1d outstrips it by a long way

Last edited:
my old 1dx outstrips it by a long way
So you're comparing a body that cost $6500 new to one that costs $5000 less and then blaming the camera for not measuring up?

Did you see the viewfinder light up on the horse's eye before you shot or did you just aim and press away? I've experienced similar frustration with it not finding the subject *I* want in a scene like this before. It was with the $3500 R5. That's why I made sure the control wheel is set so I can choose a different focus mode to get the focus point on the subject and then, using back button set to eye detect, lock in on the subject I want and shoot. At least with the R7 I no longer need to use the back button method since eye detect is available in all focus modes. New tech takes some getting used to, and it will vary from body to body. The most expensive hammer can still miss the nail when swung improperly. Not being critical, just saying.

So you're comparing a body that cost $6500 new to one that costs $5000 less and then blaming the camera for not measuring up?

Did you see the viewfinder light up on the horse's eye before you shot or did you just aim and press away? I've experienced similar frustration with it not finding the subject *I* want in a scene like this before. It was with the $3500 R5. That's why I made sure the control wheel is set so I can choose a different focus mode to get the focus point on the subject and then, using back button set to eye detect, lock in on the subject I want and shoot. At least with the R7 I no longer need to use the back button method since eye detect is available in all focus modes. New tech takes some getting used to, and it will vary from body to body. The most expensive hammer can still miss the nail when swung improperly. Not being critical, just saying.
Well thank you for your comments , yes I did make sure the focus point was selected . It is interesting that when I activated the setting that shows you where the focus was on playback, both caterpillar shots had the same focus point but one was sharp and one was not . Yes I am disappointed with the performance so far but if you read back you will see that I said it might well be me that had the settings wrong. i Am not “blaming the camera” I am puzzled at the performance / results and looking to resolve it And yes my expectation was that this new tech would be a match or more flexible than the old system especially with the innovative tracking and identification. I am currently discussing the issue with the camera dealer who are also puzzled by the problem, but have been most helpful . I am hoping the Canon team might beable to shed more light on it . This forum is a great way to reach out to folk and get their ideas and feedback but i have to say your response comes across as quite aggressive and accusatory , I hope you did not mean it that way.

Last edited:
Last time I had an issue I couldn’t figure out, I called Canon. The support rep had me save my settings to an SD card, remove it, put in another an format it. Then, she had me reset all settings to factory defaults. Then, we went through changing things until we found the setting that was causing the issue. Maybe doing something similar will help you see if your settings are causing the issue.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back