Mel H

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Mel horne
I had been getting to know my r7 but am feeling a little frustrated over the auto focus. I tried some birds and only got say 2 shots before is lost focus, I took some advice and tweaked the settings, and put it down to the fact that the birds were small and very fast. I tried it on horses, slower and much bigger, but with animal I’d and tracking on , it was still losing focus, not locking on and keeping sharp - see 2 consecutive horse shots attached. I thought that maybe because there was both a person and an animal it was getting confused on where to focus. Today I tried it with some caterpillars in the garden and still got the loss of focus, I took off the animal ID and the tracking and set the focus point to the centre single point , it improved it a bit, but not that much. I hope it is something I am not doing, or a setting I have got wrong, the manual is not that helpful at all. Any comments , thoughts or advice would be welcome . Taken with canon lens using the adaptor

Attachments

• 33D83B53-29D3-4287-87E4-C1E48C54FD0E.jpeg
    33D83B53-29D3-4287-87E4-C1E48C54FD0E.jpeg
    567.4 KB · Views: 122
  • 4CEEF2DB-1144-448B-9E0D-E5B46C18FEBF.jpeg
    4CEEF2DB-1144-448B-9E0D-E5B46C18FEBF.jpeg
    825.6 KB · Views: 122
  • 0F697911-6CA1-4F18-80E5-C1DAD4E744EC.jpeg
    0F697911-6CA1-4F18-80E5-C1DAD4E744EC.jpeg
    396.7 KB · Views: 111
  • EF0C1C6A-4416-456C-999B-1D9B284E0094.jpeg
    EF0C1C6A-4416-456C-999B-1D9B284E0094.jpeg
    403.7 KB · Views: 114
That's rather puzzling. The horse shots are nowhere near close as far as a focus point, the first looks like it focused on the upper left corner of those building's roofs. The next is right on the horse and rider. The caterpillar is sharp in the first and not the second but I can't see a focal point that the camera chose but it sure wasn't the subject. I'm guessing it's something wrong with the camera body and not the lens. Was this the same lens for both subjects and have you had good results with any other bodies?

It was different lens for horse and caterpillar . Have used both lenses on my dslr with good results.

It was different lens for horse and caterpillar . Have used both lenses on my dslr with good results.
Not sure how convenient it would be over in the UK which I believe is where you are but you might want to have it checked out a Canon authorized service center or repair facility. Being so new it is early on in it's warranty so should not be a problem. It just seems odd, especially in those dressage images that one time it's spot on and then it focuses off on the far upper left corner. I could understand if it focused on the camera man or the ladies on the left but not an inanimate part of the frame.

Do you see the little squares telling you where it's focusing? Did those keep jumping around, or did it target what it was supposed to, but focus went elsewhere?
You can turn on focus markers in playback options to see what focus points were used and where.

In the AF menu, check to see if you have the “Touch and Drag” AF turned on. If you do, disable it and see if you continue to experience this issue.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back