Canon R7 R7 Frustrations

Barry

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Barry Porteus
Back again. I have now lost patience with the R7 . I have just taken 300 + images in good light using a 1.4x extender on a 100-400mm EF zoom and the adapter ring. I have tried a variety of settings with av, tv, fully automatic, and a range of ISO settings. I have used 1 shot AF, servo AF, mechanical, electronic first curtain and silent shutter modes ........ you get the picture? I have basically tried everything settings wise and been consistent with the choice of lens etc. Result is 12 sharp images and about 290 blurs.

MY camera is a piece of junk!!!! Its gone back to Canon with a stiff note. Apparently there are quite a few people in the UK with the same issues. Are you listening CANON????

In a way, you are correct, the problems were solved as I picked up the second replacement camera. However, I cannot comprehend Canon's position to wait until the customer gives up. In my 40+ years of teaching marketing, this has never been a teaching point for me. When I write a new article on my site, I may share it here.
Hi ACEkin
You have made me doubt about my R7. May be I'm getting too old and not that picky. Can you tell me if this picture looks sharp to you?

52840872856_96a3816a4a_o.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM +1.4x III
  • 189.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 640

Or this one?

52840873226_4a8f39319c_o.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM +1.4x III
  • 560.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 2000

Hi ACEkin
You have made me doubt about my R7. May be I'm getting too old and not that picky. Can you tell me if this picture looks sharp to you?

View attachment 16746
Hello, ctitanic,
I am not sure where the focus target was placed or the f-stop. The grass in the front appears reasonably sharp and the sharpness fades as my eyes move backward. The eye of the hippo (which happens to be my favorite animal) conveys sharpness. The creases on the neck and around its jaws have some presence and clarity. Have you tried looking for the focus point in the Canon DPP to see if it is focusing where it says it is? In the example I shared. the focus point was on the nib of the pen but the actual photograph did not have any sense of sharpness. This kind of feeding uncertainty is not healthy for Canon, I wish they would acknowledge the problems, find acceptable solutions, and bring the old stability to the brand.

Again, without knowing the focus target or the f-stop, I would say there is a shallow depth of field but it should not affect the gator. The green leaves on its snout don't give me a good sense of sharpness. But, the lines on the lower part of its neck seem OK but the top part does not look as sharp. This is similar to the photographs I posted before the Canon-related article with photographs taken at Stepstone Falls. There is a link to that in my article. When you compare those to the later bunch taken at Roger Williams Park, you will feel and see what I am talking about. In my 52 years of using Canon gear, I have not had anything remotely resembling the problems I experienced with the two R7 kits. I was lucky that my camera store stood by me and swapped the kits with brand-new ones. Worth a shot!

ACEKin
in both pictures I use Eye AF so most likely that's the focus point.

EXIF for the alligator ƒ/8.0 560.0 mm 1/1250 2000.
EXIF for the Hipo ƒ/8.0 189.0 mm 1/320 640.

The long focal length at f/8 explains the shallow DoF on the alligator. But I don't know why the green debris on its nose is not as sharp as the skin on the neck area. But, it may look fine with the original image.

The long focal length at f/8 explains the shallow DoF on the alligator. But I don't know why the green debris on its nose is not as sharp as the skin on the neck area. But, it may look fine with the original image.
may be because the nose was closer to the camera than the eye? The eye and the neck may have been in the same distance from the camera. will that explain that?

The bottom line, do you feel that my camera may be having the same issue as your?

Here is a whole album where you may have more information to answer this last question: * Focus point most of the time is the eye of the subject.

I do not think that I have the problem but when I read your article I do not notice any problems, to me your pictures from the old R7 are ok, so that makes me doubt about my camera! :D

Last edited:
may be because the nose was closer to the camera than the eye? The eye and the neck may have been in the same distance from the camera. will that explain that?

The bottom line, do you feel that my camera may be having the same issue as your?

Here is a whole album where you may have more information to answer this last question: * Focus point most of the time is the eye of the subject.

I do not think that I have the problem but when I read your article I do not notice any problems, to me your pictures from the old R7 are ok, so that makes me doubt about my camera! :D
In my opinion your shots look fine. My advice would be to enjoy your R7 and stop fretting.

I've been watching these discussions on the R7 take place for a month or so and thought I would share my experiences.

I find that the R7 is an extraordinary camera for the price, which lately has been around $1399 US or less. With good lenses (non-L RF primes and EF and RF L's ) and good technique I found that it renders excellent images. So much so that I have been extensively comparing it with my 5D4 with similar EF lenses and find that it does, at times, produce better images. I also have added the 16mm 2.8, 24mm 1.8, and 50mm 1.8 primes, which lately have had substantial price drops, both new and refurbished. They all work quite well on the R7. I have no kit or RF-S lenses so cannot speak to them.

The only negative issues I have experienced are the well documented buffer space, mechanical shutter shock at low shutter speeds and the rolling shutter problems with the electronic shutter. All have technique remedies and are the nature of the beast in lower dollar cameras and hopefully will be addressed in newer versions. The limited buffer space is one that there really is no excuse for as Canon should have known (and I am sure did) that was a stinker.

I am hoping to add a R6Mk2 later this year (perhaps around the holidays during price drops). In the mean time I will keep enjoying the heck out of this little and light R7. Put me down as a very satisfied R7 owner.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back