Canon R7 R7 Frustrations

Barry

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Barry Porteus
Back again. I have now lost patience with the R7 . I have just taken 300 + images in good light using a 1.4x extender on a 100-400mm EF zoom and the adapter ring. I have tried a variety of settings with av, tv, fully automatic, and a range of ISO settings. I have used 1 shot AF, servo AF, mechanical, electronic first curtain and silent shutter modes ........ you get the picture? I have basically tried everything settings wise and been consistent with the choice of lens etc. Result is 12 sharp images and about 290 blurs.

MY camera is a piece of junk!!!! Its gone back to Canon with a stiff note. Apparently there are quite a few people in the UK with the same issues. Are you listening CANON????

I can sense the frustration you must be feeling implicit in your post. I wonder if you've been in contact with other UK snappers to see if your equipment has anything in common with theirs that would account for the poor results all of you are facing.

I have but one EF lens, an EF-S wide angle zoom I got used for, IIRC, U$112. Yesterday when I was out with it, I had a strange difficulty not being able to move the focus square and it taking on an unfamiliar aspect. IIRC, the focus square became white and looked a bit like a double Tik-Tac-Doh setup with nothing in the squares. OK, it wasn't that (actually closer to a Zia Sign) but it was something I'd never seen before and it would not move. I turned the camera on/off and it cleared.

In my case, while the lens is OEM, the adapter is no-name from gosh knows where arriving here courtesy of Amazon. Would this have occurred with a Canon adapter? Will it ever recur? Is the inexpensive obviously used hard lens part of the issue? In your case, could the combination of EF-RF adapter, 1.4x adapter (OEM?) and EF lens or maybe just that lens be the issue?

I'm curious to see how this resolves.

I'm using R7 with RF100-500 and it performs really well....even with the RF1,4x extender it performs well.
1R0A3515.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM + EXTENDER RF1.4x
  • 700.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 2000

Back again. I have now lost patience with the R7 . I have just taken 300 + images in good light using a 1.4x extender on a 100-400mm EF zoom and the adapter ring. I have tried a variety of settings with av, tv, fully automatic, and a range of ISO settings. I have used 1 shot AF, servo AF, mechanical, electronic first curtain and silent shutter modes ........ you get the picture? I have basically tried everything settings wise and been consistent with the choice of lens etc. Result is 12 sharp images and about 290 blurs.

MY camera is a piece of junk!!!! Its gone back to Canon with a stiff note. Apparently there are quite a few people in the UK with the same issues. Are you listening CANON????
We all get OOF shots. Can you post what you a few files on average what you describe as blur.

We all get OOF shots. Can you post what you a few files on average what you describe as blur.

Second this.

I'd be also curious to know if you tested on static setting so put camera on tripod, use phone app as remote (so you don't touch the camera) on a static subject, preferably something with clear contrast or even those focus test sheets. Whenever I had focus trouble on my earlier dslr bodies the focus tests would give indication on what might be causing it and start figuring out what's the steps to correct it. Could be faulty camera, for example if the sensor is not in plane it'd cause lot of focus issues.

I don't usually do birds in flight, but on a recent trip to the coast I took at least 100 shots of seagulls with the R7 and RF 100-400mm (no extender, though). A lot of the birds were out of the frame, but very few were blurry. This one is straight out of the camera with no cropping or post-processing. I also regularly use an EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L with the Canon RF adapter, and the results are uniformly good. I like my R6 more than the R7, but have no complaints about either one. I hope Canon resolves the complaint to your satisfaction!

BIF2.JPG
  • Canon EOS R7
  • RF100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM
  • 214.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/4000 sec
  • ISO 640

I picked up an R7 last year mainly for macro and wildlife. I haven’t used it that much, preferring my R5 so far. But I have done three or four shoots with it and my results have been mixed. I seem to be getting better results with the native RF lenses (mainly 70-200 f/2.8) than with my EF100-400 II on an adapter. It’s definitely fine for undemanding static subjects. I’ve had some unexplained soft results on two occasions (shooting outdoor sport and aviation) and it’s been pin sharp on other occasions. I have one unedited set to look at with fast moving subjects. So the jury’s out for me. I need to use it more on less important outings where failure doesn’t matter, to get confidence that’s it‘s ok, especially with BIF, sport and macro. The trouble is that I reach for what I have confidence in. Anyway, will report back when I have something more substantive to say, but for the now the bottom line is not sure, but not a disaster.

Do I have issues with my R7? Absolutely. Most frustrating is focus drift where the eye lock finds the subject and it focuses on the eye, then doesn't, then does, then doesn't. I've actually sent multiple sets of these to a Canon rep to send back to engineering.

That said, I'm not talking a 5-10% hit rate. I've said it before, the R7 has a great focus system (better than my R5) but it doesn't seem to have the processing horsepower to use it properly, thus the focus drift and other oddness.

That said, I'm using all RF glass. You're using EF glass with an adapter and a teleconverter. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that the camera is only the issue in that you're asking it to do more than it's probably capable of. Put a 100-400mm or 100-500mm RF on it and see how you do before you blame the camera. It's effectively a budget mirrorless that has some great features. I'd love it to perform like my R5 and wish it did. But I know its limits and have had great success working within those.

I don't have my EF 100-400 II anymore so I can't compare and I'm not saying this is the reason. The RF system has 4 additional pins for faster transition transmission speeds. I can't provide any data but I trust/believe they are doing something for me. The R7 is more challenging than my R6II and I don't like the loud clackity shutter. I find myself shooting in ES more than I like.

I was in a blind and this one came out of nowhere from the left and I only had a few seconds. With the 1.4 as well. I consider this a bit of luck because I got the bird within the frame right away. As for losing the eye and finding it. If it loses the eye it finds the head. If it loses the head it finds the body and then goes back to the eye so I don't worry about it. I know it's just AI doing the best it can. My R5 did that and so does my R6II. This AI tech is also self learning so the more you shoot.

Also I'm stunned at how it will find head of the small subject very far away. All my ML bodies do that.
_G7A3309-2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM + EXTENDER RF1.4x
  • 700.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/3200 sec
  • ISO 1600

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back