Sensor Cleaning

I may have spoken too soon about dust (or something else) on my R5 sensor. I would expect that any contaminant on the sensor would yield a solid blemish on an image. However, I'm finding a fuzzy dot. That initially led me to think that the lens needed cleaning, but lens cleaning as well as a different lens did not correct the issue. What's further confusing is that the fuzzy spot is not in the exact location over multiple test shots - close to the same spot with only slight movement.

Yes, dust presents itself as fuzzy dots. The wider the aperture, the fuzzier the dot. What is probably happening here, is the particle gets dislodged during sensor cleaning and changes positron slightly.

Clean your sensor with one of those squeegee kits.

Thanks for the info, and I thought that I would try a blower bulb first which did the trick. While the spot moved during self-cleaning, it seemed to return to its original position after a few attempts. That's what really concerned me and made me think that the dust was in the lens (shifting positions as I zoomed the lens). I'm glad that wasn't the case and that the blower bulb fixed it.

By the way, have you used a squeegee with success and is there one that you'd recommend?

Thanks for the info, and I thought that I would try a blower bulb first which did the trick. While the spot moved during self-cleaning, it seemed to return to its original position after a few attempts. That's what really concerned me and made me think that the dust was in the lens (shifting positions as I zoomed the lens). I'm glad that wasn't the case and that the blower bulb fixed it.

By the way, have you used a squeegee with success and is there one that you'd recommend?

Ah, the blower didnt help me when I tried it, and just moved the dust around. I guess it depends on the type of dust and method of adhesion.

I did use a squeegee successfully and it was very easy, although a bit scary at first. I'd recommend any of the more expensive ones available (I got mine on Amazon) to be safe, but I bought a mid-priced kit, and it did the job just fine.

One thing to know is that there's actually a layer of glass protecting the sensor, so you're just cleaning that, and unless you use excessive pressure, you shouldn't damage anything.

Good luck!

For most of the Canon R cameras, KolariVision offers what they call magnetic clip-in filters (https://kolarivision.com/kolari-magnetic-clip-in-filters/) that fit inside the body over the shutter. Specifically for protection purposes they offer a clear filter. I first learned of the clip-in filters as one of my cameras, the R, was converted for full-spectrum infrared, and I use the Kolari IR filters in the R, and so I decided to use the clear filters in my R5 and R7.

Those filters look like a great idea, and a major problem solver. Have you used them. and if so what is your opinion?

Hi Mike,

I use the clear filters on my R5 and R7. My R is a converted full-spectrum infrared camera, and for that I use various IR filters (850nm, 720nm and 665 nm) from Kolari, which is how I learned of the clip-in filters. I am definitely sold on them, both the IR filters and the clear protection ones. They not only keep dust away from the sensor, but if -- as I do -- you have the shutter close when you turn off the camera, they effectively protect the delicate shutter.

Thanks David. These clip-in filters sound like a great way to protect the sensor - it's much easier to clean a filter then the sensor. I'll check-out their website.

Hi, I have cleaned the R5 sensor a couple of times since I bought the camera, I nearly always switch off and hold the camera pointing downwards (in a sheltered area so the wind cannot blow into the body) when i change a lens and check the back of the lens is not too dusty before attaching it to the camera..

I check for dust every time I have a major shoot/outing planned, I usually use the EF 24-70L II and set it to f22 and focus on a blue sky (shoot 2/3 pictures) I process the raw and look for black dots (dust) if there is dust I clean.....

Switch the IBIS off you do not want the sensor moving when you clean it! Clean the camera in a dust free room with no windows open. switch on the camera go to Tool (YELLOW) /4 menu go to clean sensor and select clean manually this will open the shutter until you switch off the camera so be careful.

I use UES sensor swabs and fluid from Amazon and normally use 3 swabs for each clean. Firstly do a dry clean gently put the swab on left end of the sensor and clean the sensor left to right, repeat right to left with the same swab using both sides of the swab (do not rotate the swab), throw the swab away switch off the camera and reattach the lens and check with another 3 shots at f22 if the dust has gone you are finished.

If the dust is still there open a new swab and put only one or two drops of cleaning fluid on in the middle of the swab and wait for it to spread (do not get the sensor wet, a little fluid is all you need), then repeat the left to right clean and then reverse the clean direction. switch off the camera reattach the lens and repeat the F22 shots and check, I would try one more wet clean like this and if you cannot get the sensor clean then it needs a professional clean which will cost at least £50.

Hope this helps :cool:

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back