Super Moon photo. Any tips for moon shots?

jcass

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Jim Cassidy
City/State
Central Pennsylvania
Took photos last night of the first super moon. I'm underwhelmed by my results. The photo is a focus stack of four images. I took a IBIS High-Resolution photo too. I may post that later, fwiw. It didn't turn out well, but I did have the lens' IS on for that photo. So, I'll try that again with the lens IS off.

I tried to find a landmark using PhotoPills where I could frame the moon rise, but that just didn't work out.

I was hoping to achieve a lower ISO, even at the shutter speed. Most of the shots were not even as sharp as below. I don't know if that was because the lens' IS was on or because the moon was lower to the horizon and more prone to atmospheric distortion.
  • EOS R5 with RF 100-500mm L + 1.4 extender
  • Exif: F/11, 1/500 sec, ISO-4000, 700mm, Spot Metering
  • No filters on lens
  • Tripod with gimbal head
  • IBIS on, lens IS off
  • Cable release

SuperMoon1.jpg

Jim

Jim, why did you use focus stacking?
… David

In camera, I just took a burst of photos. No focus bracket. In post processing, I put those through Photoshop as a focus stack. The tip that I read was to compensate for atmospheric distortions. I believe it worked, though it was a minor improvement. So, hold the shutter button to get a couple of photos, then blend them together in Photoshop.

The tip that I read was to compensate for atmospheric distortions.
Thanks, Jim. That's most interesting: I'll try it some time, but not tonight as there are leaden skies above.

… David

I've only shot it a few times but with DSLR's. I used LV. A few things I noticed. I could see the moon moving on the LCD. The smallest vibrations would show. I set it to that mode that closes the mirror first with a delay before the shutter. Maybe try e shutter in the slow mode?

I liked a minimal exposure. I compare it to street lights. A normal exposure and you start to lose the shape and detail because the sensor fills with light. I also feel I got the best results with a partial moon rather than a full one. Perhaps that was part of it as well. Moon was not as bright. Does not help with your mission but it was observation.

I've only shot it a few times but with DSLR's. I used LV. A few things I noticed. I could see the moon moving on the LCD. The smallest vibrations would show. I set it to that mode that closes the mirror first with a delay before the shutter. Maybe try e shutter in the slow mode?

I liked a minimal exposure. I compare it to street lights. A normal exposure and you start to lose the shape and detail because the sensor fills with light. I also feel I got the best results with a partial moon rather than a full one. Perhaps that was part of it as well. Moon was not as bright. Does not help with your mission but it was observation.
All good points. I wondered the same thing about full moon versus waxing or waning. I feel that I've noticed more details around the "incomplete" edges in a moon that was less than full. Next time, I may use full auto and intentionally under-expose a little. Use the LCD zoom to set the exposure and focus.

I was in electronic shutter with slow mode, not single shot. Nowadays that is still very fast :). Also, any vibration was very evident on the LCD screen. That is why I used a cable release. My tripod setup seemed rock solid, but I could add some weight. Btw, there was no discernible wind.

It may well be that I'm at or near the resolution capability of my lens. It is just that I've seen images posted with similar/same gear that have real detail in some of the moon craters, so I have to suspect that some of it is me. Always more to learn.

It also never ceases to amaze me how fast the moon is "moving". To the naked eye, its progress appears glacial. But when zoomed in and view on the LCD screen or view finder, it move fast indeed. Einstein must feel vindicated... it's all relative.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back