JoeTheSnowPlowGuy

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
AJ
Would anyone like to see a 200mm RF prime in f/2 or f/2.8? I’ve been eying the 200mm f/2.8 EF L IS II USM, and thought this might be an interesting lens option for Sigma or Tamron to jump on. I don’t think Canon has plans to introduce another prime like this and a $800-$1000ish price tag on a lens like this might be attractive to those who don’t want to shell out $2,500 for a 70-200 f/2.8. Thoughts?

F2 yes if it's similar quality as the Canon one. F2.8 don't really need as there's many other options to cover that already.

300 f/2 prime would be ideal (at least for me) as with 1.4 extender you get 420mm f/2.8 much better for eg sport with the option of removing the extender and going to f/2 if conditions deteriorate.

Whether it is technically possible to produce such a lens being of a reasonable size and weight I don’t know.

300 f/2 prime would be ideal (at least for me) as with 1.4 extender you get 420mm f/2.8 much better for eg sport with the option of removing the extender and going to f/2 if conditions deteriorate.

Whether it is technically possible to produce such a lens being of a reasonable size and weight I don’t know.
Like I said in another thread, cheap/long/fast is not really possible. One of these things has to go.
Bet a 300 f/2 would be about the same cost as a RF 100-300 f/2.8.

The more I’m using my set up, the more I think Canon or someone else needs to build out the F4 line up. So far there are zero affordable L primes in telephoto length. A 400 F4 for half the price of the F2.8 would be nice.

The more I’m using my set up, the more I think Canon or someone else needs to build out the F4 line up. So far there are zero affordable L primes in telephoto length. A 400 F4 for half the price of the F2.8 would be nice.
I got an old EF f2.8L USM ii lens for £300 and it works great with the adapter. Especially if you are not bothered about super fast AF. Also sharp still with mk ii 2x extender for 400mm f5.6. At some point I will see how sharpness compares with the excellent value 100-400mm at both 200mm and 400mm although it will of course be 3 stops and 1 stop slower respectively at those focal lengths.

Back when I was still shooting film and using Nikon F3 bodies I had a Nikkor 180mm f/ 2.8 which I really loved. And at one point Canon sold an EF 200mm f/1.8 but it wasn't cheap.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back