Sweetpea

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Crystal Watson
I currently have the M50 and wish to move to full frame and step into the world of RF lenses. I am a hobbyist and I mostly take photographs of my five children (not fancy portraits - photos of them playing and being kids). :) The R and RP are obviously capable cameras for what I'm looking for .... so now I'm torn between the two. I take the usual parent videos of them playing, so not too concerned about 4K issues/crops. Any advise you would give to help decide between the two? Thanks!

There is a recent reply on this thread that might help you:

The RP is a more then capable hobby camera. I have been using it for a while now with no issues and some fantastic shots. I have bought an "R" and just waiting for it to show up. They both are dropping in price now that the R5/6 are out.

Thank you to you both. Yeah, my original thought process was RP and pair that with an RF lens .... which would be close in price to a R body alone with no lens. But since the R body has come down in price with the R6/R5 release, it gave me pause. The specs seem pretty similar between the two.

Thank you to you both. Yeah, my original thought process was RP and pair that with an RF lens .... which would be close in price to a R body alone with no lens. But since the R body has come down in price with the R6/R5 release, it gave me pause. The specs seem pretty similar between the two.
Well if you do cropping then the R has more MP to work with. I look forward to playing the the R and seeing what it can do. I will throw out there that if you go with the R then decide to do the R5/6 later the batteries are the same where the RP uses the batteries that the M6 used. I don't think they have as good of life as the tried and true LP-E6N batteries that the R/R6/R5 and I assume R3 will use. That is the one thing that was a little bit of a bummer as I pre-pair for my R's arrival. So I may upgrade the RP when the R5 comes down in price eventually or I start selling my photos.

You can check out this gallery that was all shot using my Canon RP
Yellowstone

Well if you do cropping then the R has more MP to work with. I look forward to playing the the R and seeing what it can do. I will throw out there that if you go with the R then decide to do the R5/6 later the batteries are the same where the RP uses the batteries that the M6 used. I don't think they have as good of life as the tried and true LP-E6N batteries that the R/R6/R5 and I assume R3 will use. That is the one thing that was a little bit of a bummer as I pre-pair for my R's arrival. So I may upgrade the RP when the R5 comes down in price eventually or I start selling my photos.

You can check out this gallery that was all shot using my Canon RP
Yellowstone
Wow - that's a good point. Thank you for bringing this up.

The R is a great camera, I just sold mine to Adorama to get an R6. You might want to check the used stock on Adorama, KEH and B&H and the refurbished stock on the Canon website. It is possible to find a like new R for the about the same price as a new RF. There have been a lot of people selling them, trading them in for the R5 and R6. I am sure that you are going to love which ever one you go with.

The R is a great camera, I just sold mine to Adorama to get an R6. You might want to check the used stock on Adorama, KEH and B&H and the refurbished stock on the Canon website. It is possible to find a like new R for the about the same price as a new RF. There have been a lot of people selling them, trading them in for the R5 and R6. I am sure that you are going to love which ever one you go with.
That is interesting have you felt the dip in MP has hurt you? I was surprised that the R6 had even less MP then the RP. My thoughts that you would only notice if you are doing a lot of cropping. However, just wonder if you saw any other challenges.

Yes, I've noticed people are selling their R and RP to upgrade to the R6 and R5. I've checked the Canon refurbished but not the other websites. I'll check those as well. Thanks for the input.

Yes, I've noticed people are selling their R and RP to upgrade to the R6 and R5. I've checked the Canon refurbished but not the other websites. I'll check those as well. Thanks for the input.
Just curious but do you think the upgrades to the R5/6 are for the improved autofocus?

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back