Canon R5 Upgrading to R5

Rhody

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Barry
I have a range of L lenses that I am happy with and plan to continue to use them all via the Canon adapter on the new R5 once I have bought the body
I am still using Canon DSLR's at the moment.
My oldest L lens was made in 1988 (200mm f1.8). It still works perfectly today.
Has anyone experienced any issues please with using L glass of that age on the R5?
I'm probably being ultra cautious but that's just me.
Many thanks.

I've not heard of any problems with Canon lenses of that age when combined with the adapter and the R5, I've seen several reports of older 3rd party lenses, such as Sigma and Tamron, have problems though and they were younger than your 200mm. If you're close by you're welcome to bring your lenses over and try them on my R5.

I haven't used that lens specifically, but a buddy of mine uses it for astrophotography on his EOS Ra, he loves it. He hasn't noticed any issues.

I haven't used that lens specifically, but a buddy of mine uses it for astrophotography on his EOS Ra, he loves it. He hasn't noticed any issues.
That's good to hear - thank you very much indeed for taking the time to reply. I've never tried any astrophotography but you have set me thinking now! Always a good thing to happen.

I've not heard of any problems with Canon lenses of that age when combined with the adapter and the R5, I've seen several reports of older 3rd party lenses, such as Sigma and Tamron, have problems though and they were younger than your 200mm. If you're close by you're welcome to bring your lenses over and try them on my R5.
Very many thanks Stoo both for the feedback and the kind invitation to try the lens on your R5. I'm in Portsmouth but do get to travel for work so if I find myself going your way, I'll send you message and see if it might be convenient to do just that. Very kind indeed of you. Thank you.
I do have some old Sigma lenses that don't work on my latest EOS cameras.
Time to clear the decks methinks and start afresh.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali
Back