Canon R7 R7 and Hummingbirds

GaryM

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Gary Miller
I continue to find the R7 a pretty amazing camera for the price. This out of camera jpeg (slightly cropped) picture is pretty common for me with the EF100-400ii +sigma 1.4x combo. I use the R7 mainly for wildlife, but it does a really good job on portraits as well. I find it just average for landscapes, but no surprise there. I have quite a bit of non-L Rf glass (aka/plastic) and Ef-L glass. Not one Rf lens has disappointed me to date, but I understand the expectations and limitations of each one. Don’t get me wrong……I really enjoy L glass, and know it is superior, but I am just not a fan of the weight and costs associated with its’ usage anymore. Canon has really been on roll lately providing so many good options for all levels of photography/photographers. I am eagerly awaiting what they come up with next.

Attachments

• GGM_5157a.jpeg
    GGM_5157a.jpeg
    508.1 KB · Views: 69
May be the problem is with the Sigma 1.4 extender. I have read that Canon L glass does not like any other extenders than Canon's.

Not sure what you are talking about. I have the canon 1.4xiii and have used it alot for my DSLR's as you had to get proper AF function.
The sigma is slightly better on this combination and fits my canon EFL 100mm 2.8 macro whereas canons newer extenders don't.
I am quite happy with this combination.

Normally, any extender will give you a softer image than the actual lens. That's the nature of the beast. Here is an example of my Canon 1.4x with the EF100-400 L.

I continue to find the R7 a pretty amazing camera for the price. This out of camera jpeg (slightly cropped) picture is pretty common for me with the EF100-400ii +sigma 1.4x combo. I use the R7 mainly for wildlife, but it does a really good job on portraits as well. I find it just average for landscapes, but no surprise there. I have quite a bit of non-L Rf glass (aka/plastic) and Ef-L glass. Not one Rf lens has disappointed me to date, but I understand the expectations and limitations of each one. Don’t get me wrong……I really enjoy L glass, and know it is superior, but I am just not a fan of the weight and costs associated with its’ usage anymore. Canon has really been on roll lately providing so many good options for all levels of photography/photographers. I am eagerly awaiting what they come up with next.
You said Sigma 1.4x.

I adore this shot Gary!

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back